Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Seeing the worst in me

bewagner
bewagner Member Posts: 1 Member
I’m new to ALZConnect. but have cared for my wife over the last five years as she has suffered with mild cognitive impairment. The formal Alzheimer’s diagnosis came 12/ 2024 and she is declining more rapidly.

My DW has always been controlling, and recently started accusing me of steamrolling decisions without her consent. In fact, we typically have many discussions. I get that she just doesn’t remember them but just don’t know how to diffuse her anger or accusations that I exploit her Alzheimer’s to make unilateral decisions.

Any best ways to handle this?

Comments

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

ButterflyWings is so right. I am so sorry you are in this situation. I had to learn it too - you cannot have discussions nor reason with DW about what needs to happen. Just use your best judgment and carry on. Try not to create tension and agitation unnecessarily, as you cannot win an argument with dementia.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. I agree completely with what's already been said-but would add the corollary point that you should stop reminding her or telling her that she has Alzheimer's or dementia. The majority of people with dementia have anosognosia, which means that they can't perceive their deficits and truly think they're fine. Telling her otherwise will just make her angry and defensive. Of course she thinks she should still be included in decisions, because she doesn't know otherwise. It's a hard lesson, and with a controlling personality can be a real problem. This was an issue for us, as my partner had been a very skilled builder and independent business woman, and was used to making virtually all of the maintenance decisions on our large farm. As she became unable to do so, i had to either go behind her back or just defer a lot of work until after she went to memory care. To this day (now in memory care for over two years and on hospice), if I mention any farm work she'll say, "well I'd like to help you with that. " So of course any such discussions are usually avoided.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Stop having discussions with her about anything - you are the responsible person and you must make the decisions alone. You are in a marriage of one. She will still accuse, but learn how to redirect her to other topics and know that you are doing the best you can with the situation you've been given.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more