Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Looking for memory facilities-what to look for

Maggie M
Maggie M Member Posts: 11
Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I am starting the unbelievable search for a facility for my DH. He is not there yet but I don't want to wait until he is in crisis. Any suggestions? This is breaking my heart and is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. To admit I can't take care of him anymore is killing me.

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Hi Maggie, there's been several recent discussions on this particular topic. If you search on "researching facilities" or "questions to ask MCF" or something similar, you may find these discussion threads helpful.

• Maggie M
    Maggie M Member Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

Thank you Dio. I have been reading some of the posts. Boy I have a lot to learn. It is a little overwhelming right now, but has to be done.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Good for you for taking this step Maggie. It's not a personal failure, and please don't beat yourself up about it. Your other recent posts have made it clear that it was hard. There is life after memory care placement, i promise. It's not an end of love or caregiving, just another transition on this long and difficult journey.

• lenbury
    lenbury Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Best of luck. My wife was in a memory care facility for 12 days before my son and I agreed to bring her home with the assistance of home health care. Our expectations were that she might improve and create some social friends but the other residents were far beyond her stage. It is hard to judge that sort of thing -- it took me 10 days of visiting to come to that realization. The staff was great but overwhelmed. I acknowledge that not everyone has the option of keeping a loved one at home.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

staff training…initial and ongoing!!!!!

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Hi Maggie, here are some of the questions I asked when visiting memory care facilities: do they accept Medicaid, is the staff specially trained to take care of dementia, patients and do they have ongoing training, do they hand feed if necessary, do they lift if necessary, what is the staff to patient ratio, what is the cost and what is included and not included in the cost, how do they deal with aggressive behavior, what activities do they provide for the residents. I hope this helps. I know how hard this journey is. My husband has been in memory care for six months. Placing him in memory care was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but I know it was the right decision. Please be gentle with yourself, and know that you’re not alone. One more thing, I took a trusted friend with me when I looked at memory care facilities, two heads are better than one. Sending hugs. Brenda

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

oh, and ask to see a contract…you want to know exactly what is covered …and also a copy of the current license…

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more