Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Does it really matter what we call it??

My DH has hadcognitive issues for many years. I noticed it when I retired 12 yrs ago. Executive function deficits, no initiative. Withdrawn, apathy. He was in denial. 6 yrs ago physical problems manifested. Sitting most of day, extreme chronic constipation, balance issues, autonomic dysfunction, nightly sleep problems. Chased a diagnosis for a yr and only found MCI and evidence of old stoike in parietal lobe. Fast forward 4 yrs: atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic aneurysms 3, endovascular repair,, 2 more strokes, carotid endartectom., ... eval showed possible early VD. Shuffling gait, SLOW processing, balance issues, increased cognitive decline, shadowing, not sleeping, cant do much on hos own. Still able to dress, toilet and feed himself. Does it realy matter what they call it??? Seems more like vascular parkisonism and VD. End result is the same. He doesn't want more medical intervention. Becoming so much oregon dependent. I have 4 hrs respite once a week that he hates but I need. Does the diagnosis really matter if the decline is real and irreversible,? I slent a long time looking for an answer but not sure a diagnosis is really that important now. Trying to make sense if the dementia world....I know that's impossible. Just needed to share with those who understand.

Comments

• Care4Hubs
    Care4Hubs Member Posts: 7
    First Comment

I actually found that a diagnosis helped me. Four years ago, our doctor at the time said what my DH had was “normal age-related.” Right. Finally diagnosed with MCI. After I continued to tell the doctor what I was seeing, he said he thinks he has Alzheimer’s (within months). My DH refused extensive testing. We moved. Fast forward three years. Last December DH finally went for extensive testing. Diagnosis was mild Alzheimer’s with a vascular component. His short-term memory is bad. Although, he now doesn’t remember being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, which is more long-term to me.. But the diagnosis really helped me be more tolerant since I knew what I am dealing with and I know what to expect. Life is not easy….

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

no it doesn’t matter to most people. Except that certain meds work best for one type and not so well for others. Certain types progress more rapidly than others

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I think unless you are trying to get long-term care insurance activated or disability insurance, the actual diagnosis isn't that important. It's more important to understand that and operate under the assumption that they cannot make complex life, medical or financial decisions any longer and the burden is on you to do those things in the best interest of the patient.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

A diagnosis doesn’t matter to me. I know what I see and deal with daily. 7 years ago he went through a battery of tests and it was the standard MCI with possible Alzheimer’s with depression. He said he will never go through that again, and I don’t blame him. I helped care for his mother with dementia and see so many similarities. I try and take things one day at a time.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You want to have the most correct diagnosis possible in order for the most effective treatment. That is important.

Once you have that you move on to non-pharmicutical (sp) treatment which has been shown to be almost as effective as drugs.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The presence of anosognosia, which is different from denial, goes along with the other signs of dementia (executive function deficits, no initiative, etc.).

Iris

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I can see both sides. However, I've found it's easier to say "she has Alzheimers" because that's something people recognize and perhaps have a little more empathy. If I had to explain her behavior without that term, it might be more complicated and less effective. I also found that having it right on her medical record, providers were clued in from the start in the ER. A list of symptoms without a single identifying term might have gotten lost.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

We got 2 MCI diagnosis and then a rapidly progressing type of dementia diagnosis. My DW doesn't want to sit for any other tests or get a pet scan or any of that. I don't blame her, as the end result will be the same regardless. To us, it doesn't matter. As you can see, it does to others. Your call, I say.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more