Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Respite

CindyBum
CindyBum Member Posts: 268
250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm a nearly two weeks out from my magical respite. I hope to never forget the feeling of those days alone, knowing my DW was having fun with her family.

My stress and anger and despair was alleviated in a huge way from it.

The flip side is that it's made room for grief again. I've been crying like crazy the past few days. Life…it seems to always want to give you a little bitter with the sweet. At least I have the space to also marvel and observe that instead of getting furious and hopeless, but dang, could we all just get a friggin' break!?!!

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

No answers...just sending peace and strength. And a virtual hug.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Cindy, I’m glad you’ve had this magical time alone even with the tears. sometimes we need those tears. They can be cleansing and help us feel the grief that we don’t have a chance to feel when we’re deep into caregiver mode. I hope you can nurture yourself, and end this respite on a positive note. Sending love and hugs.

Brenda

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Just a word to say, "you're not alone". My DH has been in MC for over 3 months now, and I'm still finding out how many feelings I just didn't have time to feel; among them are grief, sadness, anger and exhaustion. Just glad you got the respite and processing all of this truly does take time.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more