Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

itchy skin?

M5M
M5M Member Posts: 114
Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

For the past several months, DH has had itchy skin—chest and back—after getting out of shower and when getting up/dressed in the morning. I know hot showers can cause this, he has actually "toned down" his prior hot showers. He doesn't scratch, but wants some cortizone cream put on places he meticulously points out. Sometimes there is a little redness with the area, but not always. Although half of me thinks its just the temperature from shower to room air, but maybe there is some weird something, I know some other things can cause itching. It really bothers him, I mostly think, "whatever"… and put the cream on him.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• TerrificWeber
    TerrificWeber Member Posts: 16
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Try a dye free shampoo and body wash. Also dye-free laundry detergent helps. Some of the meds can causing itching but mine did better with dye-free.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

consult a nurse might help. Not saying your situation is the same as mine, but DW gets dry skin and rashes on her leg areas, lotion really didn't help but diaper rash cream did wonders, and I use it after showering her in the rash spots.

• M5M
    M5M Member Posts: 114
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Hmm. thanks for the thoughts. Maybe the dye-free idea, and slathers of cream.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

one of my husbands complaints was itching. Wondering if it is the disease. We tried everything.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

He might just have dry skin as a consequence of aging (depending on his age). Hydrocortisone cream is great stuff but not intended for regular use unless directed by a doctor. The steroid can thin the skin fairly quickly making it more susceptible to problems.

In addition to changing out any product that touches his skin for a dye and fragrance-free version, you might want to swap out his hydrocortisone cream for something else. Something with pramoxine can help with itching. My mom's derm has her using the Eucerin Itch Relief products which are made for sensitive skin. Gold Bond makes one with menthol added which has a cooling effect that distracts from the itch.

HB

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I’d just make the use of lotion part of the daily routine. Use it after a shower. And if he’s waking up itchy, apply some before bed.

If he’s resistant to changing from the cortisone cream, you might use a fiblet. DH was itchy and wanted to see the dermatologist. I bought some Eucerin cream label ‘itchy’ and told him I had talked to the dermatologist and she recommended it. He’s been using it daily and his itchy has abated. (Of course, I would have taken him to the dermatologist if my fiblet hadn’t worked.)

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more