Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Help. How do you handle it?

I really need some advice. My DH is aware of what is going on. He is not into ANY hobbies, unfortunately. He used to be a private pilot and we owned a plane, then we moved onto a boat for 8 years, in the far past he liked making model planes, but that is far past his capacity now. He really has no interest in doing anything now, but he wants me around all the time. I know that I need at least a day a week to do what I want to do, but I can't leave him for too long before he calls worried that I am in some kind of trouble. If he can't figure out how to call, he is in a panic when I get home. Getting someone to come stay with him would be great, but he would really object to a "babysitter" as he would see it, and he would never go, at this point, to day care. I'm sure I'm not the only one going through this. I just want to have a day to have a normal conversation without having to speak in circles, to go shopping, to have lunch with a friend or family member, to get a pedicure!! What do you do? I still think this middle stage dementia is the hardest.

Comments

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@mathreader , I would not rule out daycare without trying it. It has been a lifeline for me for the last 18 months. DH has gotten harder for them to manage recently, and I think we may be nearing the end of it, but i will be sad to see it go. Don't call it daycare; we go the the senior center. To see his friends. Like your husband, mine is pretty attached to me, and it took an antidepressant to help manage his separation anxiety. But I keep trying because I honestly feel it is better for him. He is very bored at home, and they do all kinds of things there. He likes the pet therapy and the more active stuff (bowling, bean bag toss) the best. If your DH is a veteran, you might have more success with a VA program; they tend to have more men. I would encourage you to try it. It has really helped both of us.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Mathreader I am still struggling with the exact same thing. I really need a solution soon as I fear I am totally losing myself. Tigersmom I like the suggestion of calling the day care center a senior center. I might try that tho still not sure he will cooperate with being left there.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

@mathreader My husband did suprisingly well in a day program until he progressed too far. It wasn't perfect, but it kept him safe and gave me time to work without interruption or get out to do errands and meet friends. We have a fulltime aide now. When first introducing the aide it was as "someone to help us out" and not someone to take care of him. It took a while to find someone who worked well with him. His aide is great with him and a huge help to us both. It was an adjustment at first, but now she's just one of his people.

@Keetaa welcome to the forum. Some commonly used abbreviations (like DH = dear husband) are at the bottom of the page. It sounds like you're at the beginning of the journey. We've been collecting useful information for new caregivers in a group. Go to the navigation (3 lines at the top of the page) and select groups. From there scroll for the New Caregivers group. Don't hesitate to post questions. I think you'll find the people on this forum to be kind and helpful.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Cindy I told my husband’s caregiver that she was free to take him grocery shopping if she wanted to do her own shopping. She would take him to Costco and wander around the store with him and then have a hotdog. He loved getting out with her.

• rplourde50
    rplourde50 Member Posts: 39
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Brought on a guy to provide care support for my DW a couple of hours a week. She objected and there would always be a fight the day he came. She has finally gotten used to him and i come home to find them in animated conversations. Patience and persistence!

• M5M
    M5M Member Posts: 114
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

• M5M
    M5M Member Posts: 114
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I have recently found a caregiver that DH really likes,—but since "he doesn't need any help"— we just go along with whatever makes him happy. He still doesn't want me to leave when she is here, but I think that will evolve over the long term. Having her started because I indeed had some health issues that I have made useful in explaining why the caregiver comes. And, as others have found, our long time house cleaner is an asset, and I expect she will be more so in the future.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

the VA provided 4 hours of respite care per week. He didn’t like it at first but about the 3rd time he asked if “my lady” is coming today. If your husband can’t use a phone he should not be left alone. If an accident or fire happened he wouldn’t know what to do or he could wander off. Try your county senior day care. Tell him he’s going to help them.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

My DH is now in MC but when he was still home I contacted the Area Agency on Aging. They were a Godsend! They provided me with first 16 and later 32 hours a month of respite care. It took awhile to find the right aide but when we did, she was great and he liked her very much. At first he said he didn't need a babysitter but I told him she was from the Agency on Aging and they were visiting with older people. As time went on, they also sent a shower aide and she did a wonderful job of coxing him into the shower which relieved me of all the frustration of trying to keep him clean. All of this at no cost to us.

• mathreader
    mathreader Member Posts: 44
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
  • JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Jeanne mentioned the abbreviations are defined at the bottom of the page. They're on the upper right in my view. Hope you found them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more