Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

"Why did we come in here?"

tigersmom
tigersmom Member Posts: 196
100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Today we went for a walk in the morning, as we usually do. When we returned home, the title of this post is what DH said to me. "Because it's our home," I said. "We live here. See, here are our two cats. They live here, too." I get asked a lot of questions, but this one kind of gobsmacked me. DH has been lost in time for quite a while now. He doesn't recognize our street when we are walking, or the exterior entrance to our house. But not recognizing our home once he was inside was a new one. Anybody else deal with this?

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Yep. You have lots of company here. My most vivid recollection was Christmas Eve almost 3 years ago now… DH had been in a wacky delusional state for days with an emerging UTI I think. He was in rare form with the wildest behavior and nonsensical conversations. But he actually scared me with a suddenly serious-sounding question, and I thought we were about to have a dreaded "heart-to-heart" about his diagnosis and terminal status, etc.

What came out of his mouth stunned me in a different way though, just as you experienced. DH looked at me very soberly, looking and sounding exactly like his pre-AD self,  and said “so tell me truthfully… (I think I froze)

Then he says this: "…what are you thinking about the best way for us to get home from this place?"

It was a whiplash few minutes for me. I had just literally exhaled, so relieved that he wasn't having a sudden clear view of his dismal future — and then shock took over as I realized that in the blink of an eye he now didn't recognize our home at all.

Hang in there.

• zilco58
    zilco58 Member Posts: 8
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

• KathyBol
    KathyBol Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Yes, just a few minutes ago! I was reading email, DH was watching TV. He came to me and said I am going to mow the lawn, I have to do something. Why are we here? The Post Office is paying us to stay here(we both retired from the Postal Service), but there is nothing to do! This is a common theme lately. The first time he asked who owned this house. I showed him the deed, tax bills, etc. He seemed satisfied at the time, but, doesn't remember. Sometimes, he will look out the window, and say yes, this is our street, I recognize that neighbor's house. I read that it is common for a person with dementia to associate home with feeling safe, confident, etc. So when they are feeling anxious, they don' t think they are home.

\=

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I too have gotten the "gotta pack up and go home" routine. So far telling him that we are home has worked. Sometimes for 20 minutes. Sometimes for days. No answer, just that you are not alone. Kathy

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DH just woke up and said he has to go home NOW. We got in the car and drove around the block. Now we are in his "parents' house" and he felt comfortable enough to go back to bed. The upside is that there is a beautiful full moon this morning!

• clarinetist
    clarinetist Member Posts: 132
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Almost every night, my DH asked when we were headed back to our home. Rather than argue or try to convince him, I just said, “It’s too late now. We’ll go home in the morning.” By morning he knew where he was again. Rinse and repeat!

• howhale
    howhale Member Posts: 17
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

So many seem to experience similar behavior and yet I thought I was unique in this. Been dealing with "the other home", "my home versus your home", "my mother's home", etc. for a while now. Using all the techniques noted by others and have to use them at different times. Never know which one will work and pray that one will. Never know when this will occur either. Cannot see any specific trigger so far.

• ClarkEb
    ClarkEb Member Posts: 51
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

constant, even if family present i the house. I think our record for rejections is about 6. There ae only so many places you can drive around here. If I’m luck fatigue takes over,,,,,except for last night from 12 to 4 like clock work on the hour LO would come out of the bedroom ‘how do i get out of here’. Tried stalling, things escalated, tried the stuck door, same thing. Usually she will go outside and fumble with the door and get in the car….last night she walked past the car and out in the yard/street, even in the rain and thunder storm. I was with her and eventually got her back to the house or car for a short ride. Not sure what is going on…gone are the random naps sleeping in the recliner and helped off to bed for the night. It is like a switch was tripped….

And as someone said….the other night there was an amazing moon and cloud scape at 330 in the morning.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My husband says the same thing every evening for months now … isn’t it nice that they kept all our furniture here while we were gone? He thinks we have been here for two nights instead of 4 years. I’m not sure where we were????? But, I just go with the flow because there’s nowhere else to go.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more