Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Communication

LaneyG
LaneyG Member Posts: 164
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

We are so frustrated. I don’t always know how to help him. My husband tries really hard to start a conversation with me or express a concern or fear he has. Sometimes I can only pick out a couple of words. I have no idea what he is trying to tell me. Sometimes I can read between the lines and go with my gut on what he is trying to tell me. Sometimes I’m spot on. Lately this becoming more and more difficult. I feel so sad not being able to respond to his concerns. How do you handle this. Some times I just try distract. Im so exhausted from having to think on my feet and I just can’t come up with anything. Then he gets frustrated cuz I sigh instead of responding. And I can’t blame him. So tired.

Comments

• Sweetwater
    Sweetwater Member Posts: 7
    Eighth Anniversary First Comment

• Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I can totally relate to everything you write here. Sometimes I don't know how to answer his concerns. I'm second guessing does he want a yes, a no or a maybe to his question? Sometimes I respond, we will have to look into that or say I don't know because I really don't know.

• Laurie1282
    Laurie1282 Member Posts: 53
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

This describes my situation to a tee! My husband with Alz cannot communicate much at all anymore. I usually try to guess what he is talking about or distract him or just give him a big hug and tell him I will take care of him if he is upset. I so miss being able to have conversations and discussions with him. He was a teacher and guidance counselor so that makes it double sad.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My spouse's first symptoms were about being unable to find words, so I've been on this path for nearly 8 years. At first I could almost always tell what he meant, and then I could usually guess, but now I usually respond based on tone of voice. Most of my responses are non-committal, like, "oh my," or "I can't believe it!" I listen and make an effort to respond appropriately, but I no longer make an effort to gain information from the interaction.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

LaneyG, I am so sorry that you are going thru this difficult time. I understand where you are at. My DW has been non-verbal now for about 3 years. At first it was very difficult for us both as she was trying to be understood and I was trying to understand. As time has passed, it has gotten much easier. Unfortunately, this is mostly because she tries to communicate much less now. And, I have learned to read mostly all the signs of what she needs. You are doing the best you can, and this particular issue will get easier with time. Best wishes to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more