Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Filing for SSN

KathiT
KathiT Member Posts: 2
First Comment
Does anyone know if you file for regular SSN benefits or do you file for disability with early onset alzheimers. And how long does it take to get benefits and insurance? What do you do about insurance in mean time while filing?

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

How old is the PWD?

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 19

if the oerson is 62 but less than full retirement age, I would apply for disability. And reapply if denied. Disability will keep the person from having to take the penalty due to taking social security before before full retirement age. If the person is less than 62, applying for disability is the only option. Talk to an elder care lawyer or a disability lawyer.

Medicare health coverage eligibility is age 65, unless you receive disability. There are caveats with that - possible 24 month waiting period from date of first disability application date depending on reason for disability.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Note that in order to qualify for SS disability, the person must have 40 credits of work (1 Qtr = 1 credit) AND 20 of those credits had to be earned in the last 10 years. I learned this year (via my annual SS statement) that I do not qualify for SS disability because I have not been employed since Apr. 2017 (have been taking care of my DH).

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

ss Disability has compassionate allowance for Alzheimer’s meaning they will process the claim faster and take the physician diagnosis. It takes a long time to be approved. Once approved the person qualifies for Medicare. In some states if you meet financial criteria you can also qualify for Medicaid which pays in addition to Medicare.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My DW was diagnosed with EO alz at age 55. She met the work requirements and I submitted her disability application within a few months of diagnosis. She was approved and started receiving benefits within 3 months of application. She was automatically enrolled in Medicare 2 years later at age 57. It all went very smoothly.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

My DW was 56 at time of diagnosis but could no longer work when she was 54. If filing for SSDI, pls ensure you file as soon as possible from work departure date, otherwise like my DW case it my be denied, eventually won on final appeal but it took me 16 months to get there. SSA rules don't take into account that, on average, it takes 2 years to get a diagnosis for those suffering from dementia, particularly Early Onset which is hard to detect early on. I was denied, though applying after she got the diagnosis, it was well-beyond the timeframe SSA requires you apply for SSDI from her work departure date. Sounds crazy but it happened to us.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

FWIW it has recently been mentioned that there is no longer a waiting period to qualify for Medicare once SSDI is approved. I would have to double check this to confirm. As to what you do for health insurance in the meantime, look at healthcare.gov for individual policies or to figure out if you qualify for Medicaid in your state.

I insured myself through healthcare.gov from 2014 to 2021 so that I could retire early from full-time practice after my partner's lymphoma diagnosis in 2012. Didn't qualify for any subsidy and it was very expensive in those pre-65 years ($1000-$1200 per month). But it gave me the flexibility to spend time at home, which I am now very glad I did once dementia also entered the picture. The cost remains prohibitive for this age group, but at least it's an available option. A lot of folks don't realize that having health insurance tied to employment in this country is a residual from World War 2 tax structures. but that's another topic.

• PlentyQuiet
    PlentyQuiet Member Posts: 88
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary 10 Comments

DH left work 12/31/2020 (RN), official diagnosis 11/15/2021 at age 61 after a lumbar puncture. Applied for SSDI 11/16/2021 and by the end of the year he was approved, with backpay dated to the time he left employment. We qualified for our state medicaid program (we had to high school kids and so were a family of 4) and he went on medicare 6/1/2023. It was all very smooth and remarkably easy.

• Victoriaredux
    Victoriaredux Member Posts: 62
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    edited July 19

I'd talk to an attorney who handles Social Security disability- it's complicated , and too important to try to punt. You didn't mention if the person is employed or recently retired/terminated . The lawyer can help you try to retain any benefits. Worth a consultation just to see what's possible. Good luck.

"FWIW it has recently been mentioned that there is no longer a waiting period to qualify for Medicare once SSDI is approved." looks like for ALS only- see below - but things change and bills could be pending .

https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-started-with-medicare/before-65

• KathiT
    KathiT Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank you all for your comments it has helped so much.

My DH is 55 he is working at this moment but it causes a lot of anxiety for him because he has to write everything down and still has went to wrong locations. He works for county barn and drives truck with rock. They have took him off roller because he has slowed down. But like I said he has went to wrong location after morning conversations of where they will be working that day. I believe he will quit soon and then we will file for disability in Oklahoma. But I will try to apply for soonercare for him or see what we qualify for. I'm disabled myself and have medicare and mutual of Omaha. We have looked into taking a bit of retirement to subsidize income until disability comes through and there is a way that the penalty is waved because of Early Onset Alzheimers.

Is just really shocking to be going through this at our ages as I'm sure no one is ever prepared for this. My DH is having a lot of anxiety is this normal?

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

You don’t want him to get fired. please investigate if his doctor will put him on sick leave or short term disability as soon as possible. Does his company have long term disability? He might qualify for that while you are going through the steps to apply for social security disability. My sister did that for her bad back. She was required to apply for SS to keep the long term disability - but the long term disability would continue even if the SS got denied. Which happened the first time, but got approved on appeal.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

He needs to stop driving. I know it's difficult to add this to your already full plate, but you risk losing everything if there's an accident.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more