Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New night time and early am behavior.

LaneyG
LaneyG Member Posts: 164
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Not sure what to make of this. DH behavior has been quite manageable for quite awhile now. Lately I’ve noticed his become more irritable in the am with accusations that I’m awful and not helping him. Two nights in a row now, he wakes up after sleeping a couple of hours. Out of the blue he starts screaming at me for lying to him, trying to trick him, for teasing him and on and on it goes. He accuses me of saying thing I’ve never said. Not sure if this is some sort of paranoia or if he is having auditory hallucinations. Tonight he was really scary and I came close to dialing 911. It takes some time but I’m usually able to calm him down. Then he falls asleep for the rest of the night. Then I’m all wound up and can’t sleep. In the am the irritability continues though not as severe. After awhile he calms down. Will plan to call a doc but am interested in experience of others. Thanks!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 22

Laney this kind of behavior should respond well to a low dose antipsychotic, if he's not already on one…But i think by your previous posts he is. Maybe a dose adjustment is in order?

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you M1. That was my thought as well. But from some poking around on line it seems he may already be at a max dose that would be considered helpful. I’m worried he might have developed some sort of intolerance to something. This is what happened the last time he got real nasty. I don’t know why I bother researching. Sometimes it seems like everything lists everything for side effects.

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

When my DH had similar behavior last year, ( it hasn't happened lately), I asked him if he had a bad dream, and he said 'yes'. So I comforted him, went out to look at stars, got him a bowl of flakes, or just talked about other things until he got sleepy again. He is less aware now that there is anything wrong with him, so maybe that mellows him out some. Good luck with this scary behavior. I've also relaxed about some things that I used to insist on. Now I let him sleep in his clothes if he insists, or wait to brush teeth until morning, whatever maintains his equilibrium.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more