Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Fun Night

Denise1847
Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So I woke up at 12 midnight to hearing my DH walking around in his bedroom. I was having trouble getting to sleep so I decided to ignore it (maybe it will stop lol) - big mistake. Finally, I got up and went into his bedroom to find his bed totally full of all of his clothing, along with his jewelry box, shaving kit, shaver etc. I asked him what was going on - "I don't know". "Are you going somewhere?" DH "No." Are you looking for something? "No." He had no idea why he pulled all of the clothes out and he was just pacing back and forth. Needless to stay, I sent the doctor an electronic message requesting something to help him sleep.

Comments

• howhale
    howhale Member Posts: 17
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My wife gets up nightly around 3am usually, walks down the hall toward the darkened living room or kitchen, back to the bed and gets in. She has no recall of this at all and I learned not to mention it. Soon after, up again to the bathroom which repeats every 20-30 minutes or so. Have not had a night's sleep in many months now so i just get up around 5:30. Has become the nightly ritual for now.

• Denise1847

Hi Howhale,

I contacted his doctor and he prescribed Seroquel. It takes about 3 weeks to work. However, I am hopeful it will be effective. Neither of us can sustain these nightly upheavals. I have a problem with sleeping anyway with a failed back surgery and neuropathy so after he goes back to sleep, I am still up. Consider asking the doctor for some meds.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Oh wow. My DH just started doing this last week (twice). I heard him moving around so I got up and went in his room, and just like you said, all of his belongings were neatly arranged on his bed. I asked … what’s going on here? He said … Just getting things ready. I started putting things back in the closet and drawers, and he said, “Oh, are we staying another night?” I can only assume that he thought we were in a hotel. He went back to sleep until morning. It’s so fascinating to me when I read that someone else is doing the exact same thing.
    My husband is on Seroquel and when he first started taking it, he fell sound asleep and slept all night on day one and everyday after. That was 4 months ago, and now he is starting to get up at night once again. So I hope the Seroquel works right away for your DH also.

• Denise1847

It is interesting how these behaviors are part of the loss of brain matter and I wonder what is next and how will I be able to handle it. His doctor told me that he would start with a low dose and then move up if needed. Consider asking the doctor to increase the dosage. May you somehow find peace in this nightmare.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more