Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Adult Day Care

Has anyone tried Adult Day Care? Was it successful? My DH is so agitated and restless unless he has something to do. His behavior is better now that we have added Seroquel to his list of meds, and I think he might enjoy the activity. There are several around here, but I was just wondering if it helped any of you. I am going crazy trying to keep him busy and finding time to do a few things I want to do. Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Whyzit2
    Whyzit2 Member Posts: 55
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

My DH goes to day care 2 days a week and he thinks he is a volunteer there. It took a few weeks for him to adjust to it but he is now thriving in that program. He is transported there by our local community dial a ride service. As he left this morning he said “I need to get going because they are expecting me”. He loves it and so do I.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I was so happy to find a daycare for LO, unfortunately he was not. The first time we went on trial basis, I stayed with him for about an hour and he was fine. The next time, I stayed for about half hour and left. I could taste the freedom of a few hours! Hadn't gotten a mile away and received call from director. LO was wandering and looking for me everywhere. Said he was not a good fit, doesn't follow directions :-(

I think you should definitely try daycare. The director did refer me to another daycare that is locked down and that may be able to accept my LO. Good luck xo

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 666
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, adult daycare was a god send. I took my wife several days a week and even though she didn't want to go she had a good time when she was there. The staff in both places I took her were great. They were sad to see her leave when it was finally time for MC.

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

My DH did enjoy the day program for a about a month. He was asked to leave because his behaviour toward the staff and other clients become aggressive. I tried another program with a change of meds and he lasted about 2 hours and was asked not to returned. Meds now have been changed and he is on a waiting list at another program. The waiting list is about 6 months. In 6 months who knows what his behaviour or abilities will be. He is in stage 6 and 7. Good Luck.

• Bill_2001
    Bill_2001 Member Posts: 114
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Adult day care is wonderful. It has made it possible for me to continue working, and it gives my wife a different environment three days per week. Two to three days per week seems to be the sweet spot for care givers and their loved one.

If your dear loved one does not cooperate with adult day care, please try it again in the future. Dementia has phases; your loved may not be ready today, but may be in the near future. Try half-days or try staying there with them at first, whatever it takes. If it is a no-go, try again in the future.

Most of our solutions are temporary anyway, and we adapt as the disease progresses. Adult day care is one tool in our tool box.

• Palmetto Peg
    Palmetto Peg Member Posts: 183
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Thank you all for your advice and comments. I am definitely going to try it and will let you know how it goes.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more