Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Locks: what brand

M5M
M5M Member Posts: 114
Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I want to add a lock in our bathroom so I can put jewelry, wallet in a cabinet. I'm thinking this would be more protection against theft than keeping DH out…..he does not rummage through things, and doesn't see well enough to get into anything with a lock anyway.

The problem is, the width of the door that overlaps the cabinet frame is narrow, and I am not sure a lock that is drilled into the frame will fit without splitting the frame. Any suggestions, hopefully by brand, that might fit?

Comments

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited July 23

How about putting a keyed lock on a closet door instead? I have looked for good solutions to locking a cabinet (to keep anyone helping in the house out of the liquor cabinet) and I can't find something that doesn't either damage the cabinet once the lock is removed, is only a child-proofing solution, or strong magnetic locks that someone stronger could yank open. My solution was to put a keyed lock on a walk in closet so that I can move things like wallets and jewelry to the closet if someone is working in the house. In fact I've installed keyed locks on two closets and a spare bedroom and have moved many valuable items to those rooms in anticipation of needing help in the house in the future.

• M5M

Oh! Sometimes the most obvious just floats over my head! I have already installed closet locks in another area of the house. That is the correct solution here, too. Thanks for the reminder. My closet is inside the bathroom/ just steps from where I keep things! Now, off to Lowe's!

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Please share the type of lock you recommend. A brand with name and/ or functionality would help. Thank you both!!!

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I bought a safe and put it into a back closet where I didn't think he would notice it. I used it for important papers as well as jewelry and my son's coin collection, as he went through a period of thinking he needed to spend everything he saw.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I have a revolving door of aides, unfortunately and need to lock closets and maybe a bedroom to secure personals from prying eyes if not more.

If nothing more than to curb curiosity, but it could also reduce temptation regarding identity theft, accounts (paltry, but mine/ours), etc.)

I got a small safe early on but it was to secure meds so DH won’t harm himself or toss them. I was advised by our hospice nurse to not leave meds available for open access to aides either after also learning that one the hard way.

• M5M

Butterfly, my locks are just interior door handles/locks from local hardware store. I just overlooked the easy solution for my bathroom cabinet concerns……I will put a new doorknob/ lock on my actual closet door and move jewelry and purse to there. I will leave the bathroom cabinets as is as the closet idea suffices.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited July 24

I've used Schlage keyed interior door locks for all the rooms/closets I've locked off. The door handle style matches the non-locking doors so it's not obvious at first glance that the door is locked. For what it's worth I like having multiple rooms/closets locked if nothing else but to discourage casual 'looking' to see what might be behind the door. With many rooms locked my theory is it would take some effort to figure out which location had anything valuable.

I also have exterior cameras on the driveway and all doors into the house. That way I can also see if anyone is bringing someone unauthorized into our home or carrying something out. Unfortunately I have learned the hard way with house sitters that people get comfortable in your home and although some have been good and not taken advantage of us many others have taken advantage. Now I take precautions no matter how much I like the person who is working in my home. (For the record we've had alcohol consumed, clothing stolen, exterior doors left wide open, household items broken, prescription medications stolen, one sitter who had subs come in without us knowing who they were, and one sitter who entertained her friends in our home.)

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Similar to Belle, I changed out the interior door knobs for all of the bedrooms and the pantry closet with interior keyed knobs that matched. Mine are Kwikset with their Smart key technology so I can key them all alike or even change the key if I need to do so. One recommendation I would pass along based on experience is to be sure to have a back-up key stored somewhere in case the original key gets locked in a room or lost. I stored valuables, medicines, household chemicals, sharp items and important documents behind locked doors for safety.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more