Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

ANOSOGNOSIA, MCI diagnosis in Jan 2024, probably mixed vascular dementia

Hi everyone. I am new here and this is my first post. I have been working to get a specific diagnosis but at this point don't really care. I know what I see, live and deal with and it is definitely mixed dementia probably vascular in nature (MRI showed strokes) with Anosognosia (God please help me with this one). I also believe he is in late stage 3/early stage 4. My husband is 65, we've been together and married for 37 years with 4 grown children. I convinced his GP to refer out for cognitive testing which finally happened in January 2024. It confirmed a diagnosis of multiple domain non-amnestic MCI but they wouldn't give a dementia diagnosis because his ADLs are still intact!!!!!. I noticed symptoms 5 years ago when he lost his "directional compass" when we were vacationing in Europe. In hindsight the behavior changes, angry outbursts, verbal abuse and all associated oddities and obsessions validate in my mind that his brain has been deteriorating for at least 10-15 or more years. I contemplated divorce in January 2020 but COVID hit and that kept me from making the decision to leave.

The past 3 months he's had every scan and test there is to identify the problem (MRI, PET, DAT, NeuroTrax, Carotid, Abdominal Aortic, bloodwork and more I'm forgetting). We finally get the results on August 12th. He literally has no idea, nor has ever asked, about why he is being tested. Never has posed a single question but when I told him they called to say they saw on the MRI that he'd had a stroke(s), he screamed BULLSHIT. He believes he is FINE and everything is normal even after he was told the results of his cognitive testing which he immediately forgot. If I try to "correct the record" he becomes infuriated. He has no idea of his limitations and consequently continues to try and perform tasks that he used to be able to do but now end dangerously (working with electricity and power tools). Driving is also a constant worry and I'm praying that the neurologist will confirm a dementia diagnosis and demand he give up his license.

I thankfully have a lot of support. I attend two in person groups (one is for early onset), am on a FB private group with AFTD.org, have a counselor, many friends and family, and now this group. I take care of myself because I have to in order to maintain my own health and sanity. I just am so sad to have to live with the love of my life who is now a stranger and shell of a the brilliant person he once was. It is a tragic disease and I'm terrified that it might be familial as his mother and maternal grandmother also died from AD (the only name dementia was given back in the day).

Thank you for reading and letting me share and vent some of my story.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Kimmy. What you have described above is the definition of anosognosia. Since this is the case, you will have to learn the work-arounds that the members use. Do not mention Alzheimer's or dementia to him ever again. Do what you have to do to keep him safe and comfortable. Find failure-free activities for him. Get your legal papers in order. If you post on the Spouse/Partner board, you will get more responses.

Iris

• CARRIEMDAY
    CARRIEMDAY Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

I am waiting for my results from my MRI and PET scan last time the results were so devastating at least this time I am prepared for the diagnosis and that is it progressing. That still doesn't mean that I am not frightened of the outcome

• Another day...
    Another day... Member Posts: 12
    5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment

yes, you want to post in caring for spouse section. My husband is 57 with FTD. I can relate to your post.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more