Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Scared and Sad

:'( I am new to this site. I was recently diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI). I am a 51 year old woman. I have been married to the love of my life for over 25 years. We have a 23 year old daughter. This diagnosis has become devastating news to our family. I am scared, angry, sad, and unsure about what is coming. My family is being very supportive. I just feel bad for them because there is going to be a point where I don't remember anything and they are going to try and remind me of everything. I wish this wasn't true.
Thank you for letting me share my small story.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to our online support group, Scooter. MCI is indeed a scary diagnosis. But nothing is set in stone. I have had a cognitive impairment not otherwise specified diagnosis for over fifteen years.

Some MCI may be treatable and revert to normal. Some may remain the same for years. And unfortunately some MCI diagnoses may progress to dementia. At this point, it is important to search for all possible medical causes of memory loss. Also examine your medications for memory loss side effects.

In the meantime, learn strategies to enhance your brain health. We call these Best Practices.

Did the neurologist offer you any medication?

How are you doing at work? Have you requested work accommodations?

There are several steps that you can take at this time yo make your life more comfortable. Please feel free to keep us updated and to communicate with the other members.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney