Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rough Night

White Crane
White Crane Member Posts: 848
Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Thursday night turned from a peaceful evening into a crisis when the MC called and said DH was banging on the doors with his fists, yelling, and hitting the doors with his walker trying to exit the unit. They said he was going to hurt someone so they were sending him to the ER. That was a little after 6:00 PM. I had just finished a leisurely supper and was getting ready to wash the dishes and then watch a movie. Instead, I hurried to the hospital and arrived before the ambulance. A good friend also came to the ER to offer support. By the time DH arrived, he was calm and even cheerful and had no recollection of having done anything out of line. After sitting in the treatment room for about three hours, a mental health nurse came in to interview DH. DH couldn't answer any of his questions. When I stepped into the hallway to talk to the nurse privately and answer more questions, DH became agitated and was getting out of bed with an angry look on his face! I told the nurse I thought DH needed to be seen by a geripsych and he agreed with me. Unfortunately, there are none of those here. He said he would make some calls and get back to me. Around midnight, a nurse finally came in and said arrangements were being made and suggested I go home. She promised they would take good care of DH. I left around 12:30. He got upset when I left but I thought he would be okay. Wrong! From the report I read yesterday on his patient portal, he had threatened the nurse and would not stay in bed. They had to call security more than once. He also grabbed one of the nurses and was threatening her! They finally had to sedate him.

After two or three calls in the middle of the night asking my permission to treat him and to transfer him, DH was finally transferred to a facility about thirty miles away. They have called me a couple of times for information and to reassure me they are going to evaluate him and try to get him on a medication regimen that will allow him to be more at peace and less agitated. I certainly hope so! This was the second time in a month that he has ended up in the ER due to aggressive behavior.

When I read the full report later of what occurred at the MC, I nearly cried. It said he had not only hit the doors with his fists and walker, he had picked up a computer and threatened to hit the nurse with it. He had also trapped one of the nurses in his room by blocking the door with chairs and had doubled up his fist as if to hit her. It broke my heart to think of him acting that way. This is not the man I married. I am praying that the doctor at the geripsych unit can get him on a good regimen so he can have some peace.

This disease robs our loved ones of there faculties and turns them into strangers.

Brenda

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Just feeling so sorry you've had this on your plate as well. Proof positive that this disease robs people of their loved ones long before they take their last breath.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m sorry. Two thoughts came immediately to mind- - 1- - this is not the man you married; the disease has caused this heartbreak and no one is to blame. 2- - He is where he needs to be, being cared for by professionals, both of you are safe (I remember how you agonized over a placement decision; thankfully, this episode didn’t happen at home with you alone as caregiver.)

I think about you often and hope he is able to be stabilized sooner rather than later. You, meanwhile, need to rest and plan for better days ahead. Best wishes!💕

• White Crane

Thank you, Beachfan. And yes, I am grateful this didn't happen when he was still at home. Thank you, mrahope.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending a hug. I know the sense of being prepared for a relaxing evening and the phone rings. Your description is very familiar to me. I hope the doctors are able to find something that works. I didn't find MC to be the answer I had hoped for but was glad those things didn't happen at home. It did confirm for me that there was a reason that I placed him. Wishing you the best.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Brenda, Sorry that you are dealing with this heartbreaking situation. I have no words of wisdom but will keep both of you in my thoughts & prayers.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I am sorry fir your pain. I will keep you in my thoughts.

• RetiredTeacher
    RetiredTeacher Member Posts: 36
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My heart hurt reading your post. I am sorry you are having to deal with all of this and sorry this horrible disease robs us of our loved ones. It sounds like the new facility is trying to help him. My prayers go put to you and all of you who are having to deal with the ravages of this disease.

• White Crane

Thank you all for your support and prayers. Clarinetist, I'm so sorry your DH is in the hospital again.

M1, they said I could visit after a few days. I think I will wait until they have him stabilized since I am a trigger for him.

SDianeL, thank you for the advice to watch for over-medication. This is our fist experience with a geri psych unit.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I too was a trigger for my husband. When I was allowed to visit, I shared my concern about visiting because of being a trigger. The Geri psych told me my visits would be one of the things to help them gage how the changes in medication were working. A tech observed us while we were in the common room, and the Geri psych met with me a few times after a visit to discuss the medications and next steps. Unfortunately, I remained a trigger until he passed.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more