Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

different MC for different stages

I am exploring MC facilities and right now looking at the more elaborate ones that say they have various activities (and many do). My question is this: if you place your person in one facility and then a year later they have deteriorated to the point where they basically sit and do nothing, or worse, are bed ridden, can you then switch to a small home or would this be too upsetting? I'm asking because the MC facilities that seem to have a lot going on (mostly corporate owned) have steeply increasing fees as the level of care increases. And the smaller homes seem , well, homier so better for someone who is really not there. This seems way premature since DH is probably state 5, but I'm an obsessive planner.

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I can't claim to know too much about this, but before we placed my DH we inquired about this issue and were told by the MC we eventually used that residents could remain in the facility until they passed. The facility has different "units" for differing levels of care. It is surely something to ask about.

Also, I have read on this forum about folks who have transferred their LO for various reasons, and there seem to be ways to do this, though not without some bumps in the road.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Our MC which is not corporate owned does not have different fees for different levels. It's a big enough facility (45 beds and attached to an independent living/assisted living facility, and there is an ongoing day program too) that there are multiple different activities scheduled, but these are not really tiered by ability; the nurses and aides get to know pretty much everyone, and generally get a sense of who likes what. They make a good effort to get the different folks to things they like. Those who are too advanced to participate in activities are still brought to the common areas if they are amenable, or for the ones like my partner, they can just choose not to participate. Hospice is brought in for those who want/need it. In theory there are three living areas that are grouped by stage, but there is so much turnover that these don't always hold up in terms of the residents' abilities. My partner started out in the "most active" household, which tends to hold the biggest events like concerts, singalongs, etc. She didn't like the noise level, and we have moved to a different wing that is in fact quieter, but tends to have the same mix of abilities.

If there are privately owned, dementia specific options, i would go that route if you can.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Dad's was a stand-alone corporate facility. Like M1's, it had 44 rooms in 4 halls, each with its own dining and lounge. Residents were of mixed abilities and were free to move among the halls. There were a range of activities. They had one inclusive monthly fee; we paid for haircuts, incontinence products and prescription co-pays only.

My aunt was in a religiously affiliated CCRC. When she first went into MC, she often participated on the AL for things like crafts, activities and outing despite be part of the MC community.

HB

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I agree with M1, smaller privately owned facilities can be more responsive to changing needs. My DH started out in a corporately owned facility that used every opportunity to get more money (including charging me if I didn't use their pharmacy, which charged me $30/month for prescriptions that I could get for free at our local Rite Aid), They also seemed a bit fast-and-loose with medication. He is now in a small facility with 3 levels of dementia care, with 10 - 15 residents per level. They are all familiar with my DH and, as M1 noted, can help him attend activities that would appeal to him.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more