Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Problem with Eating

Kat63
Kat63 Member Posts: 60
Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is stage 6 Alzheimer and ten days ago was accepted for Hospice care. He has always used utensils and honestly uses forks and spoons when it would be easier to eat the food with his hands, such as he will cut up sandwiches and use a fork to eat them. So he is still using utensils to eat but the last couple of days he is having a problem with holding a spoon or fork. As he picks up the utensil to put food in his mouth or is lowering it to pick up another bite of food, it will just fall out of his hand. It seems he is losing his grip on the utensil and it will just fall onto the plate. This happened about 5 times while eating lunch today. Wondering if this has happened to others and is this is the start of not being able to feed himself?

Comments

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Since this seems to have come on suddenly, have you had him tested for a UTI? My DH (then in Stage 6) experienced similar behavior a few months ago. He could no longer hold utensils, sat dangerously slumped to one side in his chair, slurred his speech, had word finding issues, and didn't know who I was. Treatment for a UTI cleared up the problem.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Could also be a stroke if he's having other problems with that hand. Im sorry, but yes, it could be so many things. UTIs are simple, the other stuff not so much, and o. Hospice i would definitely keep it simp!e.

• Kat63

Thank you both for the replies. I will talk with the Hospice nurse this week. Definitely agree with keeping it simple.

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH falls asleep almost every day during lunch. I touch him to keep him awake so he doesn't choke or drop food on the floor. He doesn't usually nap during the day. He is probably stage 6, no comprehensible language, and slowing down. Anyone have experience with this?

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

My DW can't use utensils, but appetite is great, coordination is deteriorated to such an extent she can't grip/hold much anymore. I feed her via spoon/fork now and for about a little over a year now. I still interact with her during meals, hand her foods which she eats but almost forgets she has food left in her hand and it will drop. Absent health issues, time will tell you if its disease progression. Happens slowly, incrementally over months and now years with us. I keep a variety of soft and hard snacks on hand as well and frequently give her water from a cup/straw throughout the day. Good luck.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

This happened to my DW. She can grip a piece of bread or a chicken nugget, but no longer has the coordination or dexterity to manage a fork or spoon. She is still at home - I feed her or my hired private care CNA does. I feel like it is just part of the progression. My DW is late stage 6 - early stage 7.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

My DH was doing that when he was in stage 6. In his case, he was still at home and on various blood pressure meds and a blood thinner after having a stroke. He also had a slow pulse (low 40s). I think he was over-medicated. I learned to not push eating at specific times and let him eat when he was truly awake.

• Kat63

Thank you all for the input. Today my DH has been fine using fork and spoon so see how often it happens, but feel it probably is progression. It’s just one of the symptoms I hadn’t seen mentioned and wasn’t expecting.

• sixcats
    sixcats Member Posts: 17
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

This is my DH. Five years in Memory care facility in Los Angeles. Diagnosed about 6 years ago at age 59. Slow progression. Still uses utensils, sometimes. In wheelchair most of the time. Little to no speech, just quiet mumbling. We still have wonderful love connection. Can lift glass of juice without spilling. Left arm not working so well. All of these posts I totally relate to. And now wondering if he has had a stroke. Need to contact his doctor regarding. Thank you. Janice

• Ochunlade
    Ochunlade Member Posts: 6
    First Comment

I see my mother's fine motor skills beginning to deteriorate. It affects her ability to cut meat and eat long noodles— she ALWAYS uses a knife and fork and refuses to slurp pasta (she's French). At some point, the physical coordination will become more difficult. Definitely rule out medical causes.

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

What if you served finger foods and didn't put out utensils? If he goes looking, you can use a child resistant lock to keep the drawers secure.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Just curious. Were any medications changed when he went on Hospice?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more