Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Feeling like a terrible person!

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

Yikes do I feel like an idiot! DH 4 years into VD and his short term memory going downhill quickly! I should know I should be aware but duh! I started a new BP med and apparently by mid after my pressure falls. Today it was 70/50 I was feeling drained and told DH I wasn’t feeling well and going to lay down . He came up to ask what I was going to cook for dinner. Told him to take burgers out of freezer and could he cook tonight! Sure he said . Came downstairs later to see 1 burger defrosted and nothing for me. When I asked him he didn’t remember our conversation. Later when I was making something for myself he asked where his dinner was. I did get upset but I should know better. He no longer remembers our conversations. So now I feel like c—p and making his dinner and mine and feeling terrible about getting upset with him.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

In the future, I think it would be much safer for you to order a meal delivery if possible. Cooking and dementia don’t mix too well. Major safety hazard.

Try not to dwell on what happened earlier if you snapped at him. Sounds like he likely will have forgotten by now.

• tms56
    tms56 Member Posts: 4
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

my mother n law gets upset with me when I don’t wash the dishes right like she does my family lives with her. She doesn’t understand how Alzheimer’s works. If I ask her to write down a list of stuff she need from basement she gets upset is 2 items I’m afraid I will forget. My wife doesn’t get upset and tells her not to keep going about stuff I can do right. To do get upset at him. It’s normal part of alzheimers

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Each stage introduces new problems. It is a learning curve for all caregivers, and we all get frustrated and angry at times. Take your cues from him and react accordingly. You will get better at this.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Maybe you don't need that BP med after all.... The hardest thing to accept is that you can no longer ask him to do anything and assume it's going to get done. After a while you'll learn and just stop asking. But there goes any reciprocity in the relationship.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Don't take even one more dose of the bp pill without contacting your dr. Perhaps you need none, or a lower dose, or a different med.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more