Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Geri-psych saga continues with hopeful news

For those if you following our story, after two weeks in a medical bed, my DH with aggression problems was transferred to the hospital’s Geri-psych unit on Monday. I was very pleased because this unit has a good reputation for not discharging patients until they are really ready.

I am finding out that my husband’s issue may not have an easy resolution. A week ago, he punched a very nice nurse while the nurses’s back was turned. Yesterday he again got aggressive but luckily no one was injured. When I visited him in the early evening he was still quite agitated, punching one fist into his other hand, which made for a nerve-wracking visit. He was already at the max for his as-needed med so they couldn’t give him more meds.

Today I spoke with the doctor on his unit, and she is going to wean him off his Risperidone and try Zyprexa, which will take about a week. I’m grateful that they have more meds to try with him, and hopeful that something can be found. But it’s also occurred to me that there might not be a magic drug for him, which makes me very sad on his behalf. I hope he can return to his wonderful memory care, but that may not be in the cards. The future isn’t bright for anyone with a dementia diagnosis, but might be particularly dim for him at this time.

Comments

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney