Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I'm feeling whiny

Jeanne C.
Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband's aide has been out since Wednesday and the agency hasn't found a sub. Wednesday was awful - he had been up most of Tuesday night (meaning I had been up most of Tuesday night) so I struggled. We got through it. Yesterday was rough. We got through it. This morning I'm mainlining coffee and he's removing the handles from the kitchen drawers. We'll get through it. But I'm staring down Saturday and Sunday with dread…

Ok. Whining over.

Comments

• LadyM
    LadyM Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Hugs to you! I’m sending positive vibes and prayers your way that they find a caregiver soon for you. I am a caregiver for an outer man with dementia and he is basically pretty much bedridden now he has gone downhill so fast and his poor son God love him, can understand why, but that unfortunately is their trajectory sometimes of the disease Caregiving is one of the hardest job that could ever have.
    Please make sure you take care of yourself.
  • trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

oh my. I can hear the exhaustion in your writing. I hope they find a substitute soon to give you the much needed break. I can handle a lot with a good nights sleep. But when that doesn’t happen, the fatigue and frustration can be overwhelming.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Hang in there! Like we have a choice LOL. Hope you can get some rest xo

• orth
    orth Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I feel for you. You have a right to feel the way you do. Take care

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Jeanne, I hear the exhaustion in your writing. I cannot function without sleep so I am can so commiserate with you. It sounds like you may want to consider a different agency or a back-up agency. If they have not had someone this time, it could happen again. Protect yourself for getting ill. Take care.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Unfortunately this is the norm, not the exception; caregivers left in droves during/after covid and likely never will recover, unless pay goes up significantly. It's very hard work caring for people in their homes, many work two half days (four hours for example) and are responsibile for their own transportation and gas. Not an easy way to make a living. Trying to get someone for anything less than half a day is virtually impossible.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 439
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I agree with M1 but am not even sure increased pay will help. I hired several private aides in addition to working with agencies over the years. The private aides were paid well and were still unreliable. Hoping they get a replacement to you soon,

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more