Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Things have progressed

I haven't posted here in quite a while, but things with my Significant other/life partner have progressed recently. At first, her only problem was short term memory loss which was easy for me to deal with. A few months ago, she started sleeping all day, often 16-18 hours a day. She also was getting no exercise and was eating much less than usual. She gets confused, especially when she gets up at night to use the bathroom. One of her doctors recently told me that these things are all normal as Alzheimer's progresses and are irreversible. At this stage, he said, we should let her do whatever makes her comfortable. Sometimes at night she walks out into the hallway because she is confused, and I have to have her come back to bed. To make sure that I wake up when she does this, I've installed sensors on the bedroom doors which ring a chime when one is opened. There are still some positive things going on as well. We recently went on a car trip where we drove 200 miles a day. Instead of sleeping, my SO was alert and enjoyed commenting on things she observed as we drove. She is 89 and I'm 90, and last week her Neurologist commented that she hopes to be as active as we are when she reaches our ages. We are planning to hire a part time caregiver so that if I should be hospitalized, for instance, we will have someone who knows what my SO's needs are.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm sorry about the progress but am so pleased you've been doing well and still going on adventures.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Good to hear from you. I feel for you being a caregiver at age 90!!!! Sounds like a good idea to get someone on board to help.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more