Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New normal

This is my first post. I’m 54 yrs old caring for my DH who has EO. We are three years into his diagnosis. He has been told many times he has Alzheimer’s by the drs but each time is like the first time. I’m scared of what the future holds. He is definitely not the same person. Mood swings are the biggest struggle right now. He is also very paranoid, confused, and easily agitated.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Sunshine. Your DH has anosognosia, this means he is unaware of having dementia. It will be better not to mention Alzheimer's or dementia to him. Read a lot of threads, ask questions and learn from the other members.

Iris

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome, you have come to a good place for advice and support. Is he getting medication for his agitation and irritabilitu? Definitely talk to his docs about this, the atypical antipsychotics like Seroquel and Risperdal, plus additionals like Zyprexa and Depakote can make life easier for both of you. Ask for a referral to a geriatric psychiatrist if necessary, they can be a big help. there can be a wait to get in so best to start early.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Sunshine, Welcome but sorry you have to be here. Please get a certified Elder Care attorney to get your financial affairs in order. You will need a POA to manage the finances and sure up your finances. Do not wait. Also, read the 36-Hour Day, view Teepa Snow on YouTube.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome. So sorry about your husband's diagnosis. We know how you feel. It's terrifying & heartbreaking. First I would ask the doctors to stop telling him he has Alzheimer's. It doesn't help him because he won't remember. It also upsets him. Likewise, I never discussed my DH's memory loss with him. As we went to new doctors or he got a new medication, I just said it's to help your brain. Your DH is paranoid, confused & agitated because he's losing control and you are his anchor. Definitely get him referred to a Geriatric Psychiatrist. They are best able to prescribe meds to help his agitation & aggression (which some have). Read the book "The 36 Hour Day" which was recommended by a nurse. It really helped me early on after my DH's diagnosis. There is a list of behaviors for each Stage of the disease. I used that list to communicate with his doctors. As each new behavior happened, I kept a list and sent the info to all his doctors (usually monthly). As others have said, go to an Elder Law Attorney and get a DPOA done now. Don't wait. Within 6 months my husband could no longer read & sign documents.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more