Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Are my feelings normal?

My DH is in mid-stage 6 of Alzheimer's disease. We've had a wonderful 22-year marriage. My emotions and attitudes towards him these days are all over the place. When he is ornery, refuses to take a bath or swallow his pills/eat his meals, accuses me of controlling his life, twists my wrist because he is mad at me (only happened once), is negative and says everything is crap and the like, I am frustrated and angry and wish he was living somewhere else. When he is loving, kind, apologetic, positive, and humorous (the man I married), I am deeply upset that he will one day not be with me. Are these ever-changing feelings normal?

I feel guilty about getting so frustrated with him that I don't want him around. We have a deep love for one another, so this is very painful. Little by little, I am getting better at handling his contentious and quarrelsome responses. The discussions on this website have helped me learn better ways to respond to him, for which I am grateful.

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I believe all of us go through similar if not exact emotions you described. Some vary depending on the stage our LO is in. We miss the person they were, and don’t always like the person they have become (at times). The roller coaster ride of emotions.

• Shelly / Texas
    Shelly / Texas Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Sweetfire - I understand how frustrating it is to have your once respectful spouse become irritable and negative. After a lifetime of mutual respect, I still have a hard time with being blamed for just about everything and having to be called the bad guy when all I am doing to taking care of him. He has now been on Prozac for about 9 months and it has helped tremendously. Sure, he still resists shower day and has negative moments, but it helped with his day to day attitude. Please mention the behavior to his doctor and maybe there will be a solution. I've always been a person who took zero BS from anyone, so having my own spouse be disrespectful was a hard pill to swallow, but I've learned it is often a part of this painful journey. Stay strong, lean on others, and take care of yourself!

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

The Rollercoaster is certainly real for me. I, too, have had the talk with myself about the fact that I am an unpaid maid, and caretaker, no longer a partner. If I am not too tired, which is seldom, I can cope with the slurs. And I have to admit that the "ITS NOT THE MAN, ITS THE DISEASE" argument is losing its power.

One of the best things about this forum is that you learn quickly that you are not alone in your thoughts and feelings, and that does help alot. Kathy

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You are absolutely normal. One minute I want to run away and the next I am in total sadness.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more