Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Medication

ronda b
ronda b Member Posts: 77
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

My Dh is in stage 4 alz. 74y/o. Has VD also. Has not been taking his medicine. I set them up for him. He also has a lot of other medical problems.

This morning I ask him if needed to remind him( he gets very angry) or does he just not want to take them. He has been like this for about 2 weeks. He said he would let me know later today. I told him I would do whatever he wanted. Was that wrong?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

ronda i think the mistake is in asking him. i think you just do it. What that exactly looks like may vary. i personally had to take the bottles away from my partner, lock them up, and give her the pills and watch her take them.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    edited August 7

I went through this with my DH. I went and bought a pill organizer (which he was very opposed to) and set it up with his pills for the week. The first night as he was getting ready for bed and I brought him that nights pills. In the morning I brought him his pills with his coffee. He was unsure at first and immediately got used to me giving him his daily pills, I don’t ask, I just do.

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 77
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Thank you for the advise. I did do this late this morning and he took them. So I guess it's time I take over his med.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

so that's a definite win. The good news is he may get used to this really quickly and forget it was ever an issue. Fingers crossed.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I bought the weekly organizer and I would give my DH his pills and a small bottle of water. I would stand there until he took them and drank the water.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

PS: if he questioned a new pill that the doctor (not Neurologist) prescribed I told him it was to help his brain ( I never said the words Dementia or Alzheimer's because it seemed to upset him. He never questioned taking new medications.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more