Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Move her closer to me

W.L.
W.L. Member Posts: 22
Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Hi, I'm seeking advice from those who have experienced this. Short back story, my wife has been in memory care in Fresno Ca. for 2 1/2 years. Her son lives seven miles from where she is and sees her twice a week. She is currently level six. I live in Boise Idaho. I moved here to be close to my daughters because of health issues,those have improved though.

I want to move her closer to me (with her sons encouragement) but don't know how the move might affect her. I certainly do not want to cause her any set back or trauma. A side note, she often mistakes her son for me. The move is 725 miles, not an easy one day trip. As you can imagine, I miss her terribly as I'm only able to see her every couple of months and only a week or so at a time. If she were here I could see her everyday.

Have any of you moved your spouse from one facility and long distance and if so how did it affect them? I want to do what is best for her but also what is best for us. Please share your experience, good or bad with me. thank you

Lee

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney