Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I'm afraid... Update on my DH Lonny - sorry long post

SDianeL
SDianeL Member Posts: 878
500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

UPDATE 8/11/24: Lonny is now unable to swallow although he passed a swallow test a few days ago. His mouth is open all the time. Social Services will call me tomorrow morning to set up Hospice. 😢Pray his passing is peaceful and he doesn’t suffer. 🙏Background: My DH was stage 5-early 6 last December when I was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer. I had no choice but to place him in memory care. He was doing OK at first. Walking with a cane but not able to learn a walker. In February I transferred him to a VA Facility because if anything happens to me he wouldn't be able to afford the other facility on his pensions & they would have transferred him to a facility that may not get good care & reviews. He is getting excellent care at the VA facility & nothing I post from here on is the fault of their care. The VA facility doesn't allow canes and since he couldn't learn a walker they placed him in a wheelchair. He was doing OK with that until he developed agitation & aggression & they had no choice but to medicate him. He became bedridden & only woke up to eat. He ate all of his meals & went right back to sleep. He refuses to wear his dentures so they changed his diet to soft foods. (He also refuses to wear his glasses). They started slowly reducing his meds so he could get up in a wheelchair again & he was doing OK until he leaned over to pickup something off the floor & fell. Trip to the ER & 8 stitches in his head. Back to being bedridden & sleeping. Last week when I visited I noticed he wasn't eating. He couldn't seem to figure out how to use utensils. I fed him but noticed he wasn't swallowing the last bite. I would tell him to swallow & he would. I mentioned it to the nurse. She said they would feed him. This week they were feeding him mashed sweet potatoes & he had a choking episode so they changed his diet to pureed & liquids and ordered a swallow test. Today the speech therapist is going to do the test. She did say he ate dinner last night & breakfast this morning with no problem. I'm terrified because he seems to be rapidly moving from State 6 to Stage 7. He is now fully incontinent & can barely communicate. His oxygen is down to 90. They are trying to give him oxygen but he won't leave it in his nose. Although I know he wouldn't want to live this way I can't imagine losing him. To top it all off, I had to call his only daughter (who lives out of state) and is going also through breast cancer treatment. I am going to visit him tomorrow. Your thoughts & prayers are welcome & much appreciated. I don't know what I would have done the last 7 months without this forum. ❤️

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry Diane. This progression likely would have happened regardless, i am in a similar situation though my partner is not choking yet. Unfortunately she can't tolerate being upright in a wheelchair because of her bad back, so she is mostly in bed and we're just waiting for the next fall.

You are certainly going to lose him and probably sooner rather than later, that's the honest truth. I don't think we're every ready for it—-and yet, I pray and wish daily for my partner's death to release her from this purgatory, she doesn't want to live this way. That actually comforts me. Do you have hospice on board for him? it certainly sound like it's high time and I would ask…..

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Diane,

I am so very sorry. I am sending you prayers and hugs.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 358
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I’m so sorry. Sending you big hugs and comfort. You have been a wonderful wife to your husband.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh, Diane. I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending you big hugs.

xoxo

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry. It sounds like your DH is nearing the end. Is hospice involved?

• Shelly / Texas
    Shelly / Texas Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Sending support……you are dealing with so much, Diane! It must be very scary, so glad you are here for support. 🌷

• Kat63
    Kat63 Member Posts: 60
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry your husband is progressing so quickly. Even knowing this can happen, we still are really ready. Sending prayers.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 7

Comfort and strength to you. And I echo M1's suggestion to bring in hospice if they aren't already involved. I've found them to be a valuable source of care for my husband and support for me. Take care.

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Diane, sending prayers your way. You are a wonderful wife.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm so sorry @SDianeL I know this is incredibly hard.

Like the others who have posted, my thought was about hospice. It sounds like it's time, and they can be very helpful.

Sending virtual hugs your way.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Joining the others in praying for you, Lonny and his DD xo

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I’m so sorry, Diane. My prayers are with you.

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Dear SDianeL- what you have been and are going through this past year seems unbearable. I’m glad you are able to “bring” your situation here, as I see so much love shown for you and your DH Lonny! I am not as far along in my journey as you, and I am in awe of your strength. I wish you both strength, love, and care to face the future. You both will be in my heart and prayers!

Karen

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

SDianeL, I am sending big HUGS and holding you and hubby in my thoughts. I am so sorry ; you have shown such strength in all you have handled so far.((((HUGS))))

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,399
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m sorry. Please know that this has nothing to do with you placing him. You didn’t ‘hurry this along’. As you said, he’s getting excellent care there. It’s just the way it sometimes happens.

I’m also sorry that both you and your step-daughter are dealing with cancer right now on top of everything else.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 793
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Prayers for you and for your dear Lonny. You've been a true warrior. I agree it's time to bring in Hospice. Support and care for you both as you navigate this stage. Much love to you.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

prayers for you and Lonny

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I’m so sorry, Diane. Sending prayers for you and Lonny.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hoping that somehow peace begins to come to you both. Praying for that.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

So sorry, Diane, on what you’re going through with your husband, especially with the added issue of the cancer. Take as good care of yourself as possible - you’re worth it! Sending prayers and hugs to you.

• northernlady
    northernlady Member Posts: 85
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Diane,

What a year this has been for you.

I see you going ine step at a time, dealing with whatever that day brings. Your darling Lonny receives the best of your love, and no one can ever take that away.

I hope peace finds you both soon.

Blessed be,

M

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@SDianeL

I'm sending thoughts and prayers to your DD, Lonny and you. That's a lot on one set of shoulders.

My dad's dementia seemed to accelerate in the later stages which was a marked contrast to his earlier progression. I think the faster pace made it harder for my mom to process the changes which was hard. I think, too, that mom's care and intuitive scaffolding helped dad appear less progressed in the disease than he would have in the care of anyone else.

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney