Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Performing a COVID-19 Nasal swab test for PWD

dancsfo
dancsfo Member Posts: 290
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

PWD was previously aware of what a nasal swab for an antigen test was for, and performed the nasal swab by oneself (I did the rest of the test)

This week, I was asked what the test was for, and I explained; I handed the swab and how many times to turn in each nostril. PWD did that, and then tried to wipe the swab tip on a paper napkin which would have ruined the sample. That part was unexpected.

I think that from now on, maybe I need to perform the swabbing, which is hard to do since I can't tell how far in to insert if there is any pain, but I do know medical professionals do it for patients.

PWD seems to swing from concern from getting sick ("I can die") to not caring "Why do this? I am not catching it from anyone". I said it's a precaution, and fortunately there's compliance.

Anyone else have problems or success in performing home tests for a PWD?

Maybe I ought to not even explain it is a COVID test and it's some routine thing or on doctor's orders.

Tagged:

Comments

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@dancsfo , in my experience, what stage your LO is will determine whther or not this is possible. When DH and I both got Covid last September, he allowed me to swab his nostrils to do the test. When I thought he might have it a month ago, he hollered bloody murder and I got a pretty useless sample. He wouldn't let me insert the swab far enough into his nostrils. The difference: He's entered stage 6 now, and last fall he was in 5. The memory care facility I am considering wants a covid test pre-admission and I have already decided that I won't be the one doing it.

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited August 10

Thank you for sharing your experience. I agree that it all depends on the stage, and I may need professional help to perform tests in the future, and there's no way I (or anyone?) can deal with a tantrum.

I just wish saliva based tests (like SalivaDirect which received Emergency Use Authorization in July '24) will become available, since drooling into a tube is a lot easier to deal with.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more