Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Cabin in the country

we have never been on a vacation as a family more than a few nights but I took a leap of faith and booked a cabin. My husband with FTD and three kids will hopefully have good weather. My husband and I always loved camping so these are easier trips as the woods always look like our old camping days…nothing odd or scary new for him. It takes him a day to settle in then he seems ok. We try not to book too close to others in case he has his unexpected angry outburst…usually misplacing something. Pray for us that we have a good time. Our trips have rarely been easy. I have to do all the driving and planning now. J

Comments

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Praying your trip goes very well. And please let us know how it goes.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope it goes well too. But- and there's always a but with this disease, especially FTD- you might do well to at least think about a backup plan if it goes south. Changes in routine, while refreshing for those without dementia, can be triggering for those with it. I'm not saying don't do it, but what will be your criteria for throwing in the towel? Will the kids be prepared for possible disappointment? Just don't want you to be caught flatfooted.....

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I hope you have a good getaway and everyone is able to enjoy it.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Please go into this prepared. You say it will be nothing odd or scary for him. I find that any change in our routine is odd and scary for my husband.

I hope all goes well.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

On a practical note, if he has a tendency to wander or run off when he is agitated, make sure someone has eyes on him at all times. If the area is not too remote, a tracking device on his person might be useful if he does manage to slip off. Even though he has been camping before, his mind in its current state may not be able to process it the same as before. Praying that all of you get to enjoy this trip.

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

fmb points out a major hazard.
    On our LAST backpacking trip with my DW I nearly lost her twice. Best to have eyes on at ALL times. I couldn’t believe how easily that happened. It scared the heck out of me.
    Again, have a great trip but be extra careful.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Another day...

I hope your trip goes well. Doing those bucket-list trips can be a positive experience with a lot of planning and luck. Or not.

One concern I would have is your DH's current tolerance for being with others and for sharing the attention of his primary caregiver. By stage 5 dad, who lived alone with mom, started to struggle with tolerating visits with our small family for holidays— I'm talking my niece and her DH, my DH, DS and myself— all quiet adults. Initially he was fine for an hour or two but as the disease progressed he became visibly unhappy and wanted us gone. By stage 6, he even resented visits from me. Mom was happy to have someone to have a sensible conversation with, so he would compete for attention by needing things. If I brought him whatever it was to give her a break, he would carry on that it was her job, not mine, to help him.

HB

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Good Luck and have some fun!

My husband too has FTD. I took him up to the lake and rented a cabin. The cabin was large, my son and his family joined us. The lake is a place we had spent many summers camping, fishing and hiking as a family before dementia hit 10+ years ago.

My husband who is almost non verbal, incontinent and does little walking seem to enjoy the area. He sat mostly on the front porch or on the sofa staring out at the lake . The drive (3hrs) didn't seem to phase him. No angry outburst.

The most difficult part was the bathroom was not handicapped - no grab bars, low toilet and shower not really accessible. No hospital bed just a regular bed. I did bring a mattress protector. My son provided the strength and helped in his care. I wouldn't of been able to care for him had my son not been there.

Overall we all had a good time. I did have a back up plan. Additional Rx's and the ability to return home with him if the environment became to stressful. I also had a tracker in his pocket just in case.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more