Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Trying to make life altering decisions and. . .

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 666
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Well meaning and good friends who are retired nurses and worked in most every field at the VA. I was talking about the hospice care and the meds the, well respected hospice doctor put her on. All I heard was how those drugs don't interact and make sure the hospice company isn't experimenting.

Why would they experiment? They've been in this business a long time and have seen everything.

Hard enough making these decisions without somebody putting all kinds of doubts in your head.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You know you're doing the right things for your dear wife. I agree: hospice doesn't "experiment." They may add a drug for comfort that perhaps you wouldn't want your pilot or driver taking, but if it's keeping her comfortable, where's the harm. Your friends mean well, but you're doing what you need to do.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I wouldn’t think they would experiment, but there’s nothing wrong with questioning the benefits of the drugs she’s receiving.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

With all due respect, that’s BS.

Have these individuals worked in either hospice care or with end -stage dementia patients? If not, it doesn’t sound as if they’re informed enough to have an opinion.

You can safely disregard their thoughts.

HB

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Agree with HB. Just don't discuss it with outside people even if they have a medical background. Everyone loves to stir the pot.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,399
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

who cares if the drugs possibly interfere with each other at this point as long as they work. The goal is to make them comfortable in the short amount of time they have left. The interaction issues may be a rare event and hospice probably knows that. They know what to watch for in case changes are needed.

I feel the way way about antipsychotic medication black box warnings. Aggressive and agitated dementia patients are dangerous and if antipsychotic medications are needed, then they are needed. It’s riskier not to treat them than to treat them.

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

…hard to protect yourself from “well meaning friends, doctors, etc”. I support you to trust the hospice doc and YOURSELF to judge how well any particular regimen is working for your DW. Hang in there, shake this off if you can, and know you are her very best and loving advocate 💕

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more