Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Humor even in the late stages

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,701
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

My son and I share a penchant for really bad jokes. I heard three last night on a TV show (see below), and I sent them to him with the predictable response. I thought about telling them to my partner—but then I thought no, she probably wouldn't get the punch lines. But: she was having a really good day today, was actually up and not in her room when I got there (a real rarity). So we sat outside, and I did tell her the jokes—just to see how she would respond—and lo and behold, she seemed to get them and laughed. I was surprised—but then again, she always did have a really good sense of humor. As they are primarily puns and she has really bad aphasia now, I wasn't sure her language skills were still there. Made me curious if anyone else finds similar things? FWIW, here they are (too good/bad not to share—from an Easter episode of The Last Detective):

Q: What do you get if you burn down Hugh Hefner's Playboy Mansion? A: Hot cross bunnies.

Q. Who is the Easter Bunny's favorite actor? A: Rabbit De Niro.

Q: What do you call ten rabbits marching backwards? A: A receding hare line.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

M1, I’m glad to hear your partner was having a good day, you certainly deserve to have you. I joke with DW and don’t think she gets the jokes but if I laugh so does she.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

That first joke made me laugh out loud! I had a tough day today at DH's ALF and really needed the laugh, too. I'm so glad you were able to share these jokes with your dear partner and that she 'got' them enough to laugh. These are the moments we treasure.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

😂😂😂

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 845
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I’m so glad she got the jokes and was having a good day. They sure made me laugh!

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Good ones. Thanks for sharing. It is good to hear you wife had a good day.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

It's nice that they delighted her, but groan. Those are some real dad jokes right there.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

you were duly warned HB….my son is a great source, he's been a jokester since about age two. At that point his favorite joke was also an Easter joke, as it happens: What's white and fuzzy and bounces down the bunny trail? The Easter tennis ball.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Yep, those are bad alright! 😄

I can give you more material! I read an article on The Guardian this morning about one liners at the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh.

Two of the best (worst?) ones —

My desire to spontaneously sing The Lion Sleeps Tonight is always just a whim away.

The Romans invented Vaseline. Or was it Ancient Grease?

The curry wurst one is also good.

I think Peggy in her later stages might have thought the Lion Sleeps Tonight one was funny, given her musical background. Not sure she'd get the rest. But my experience with Peggy was like what @Joe C. said - if I laughed at something, Peggy would laugh too.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

ust warms my heart to know that a tiny ray of sunshine hit you and your DW today, @M1

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

OK, those are some great bad jokes! I’m very happy they ignited a spark between you and your partner, M1. Sweet! My DW is often in a grump, angsting about something, or just not tracking all that well. But every once in a while we’re able to find a groove where we can joke and crack ourselves up like old times. I find myself wondering, where did that come from? But so grateful for the moment. Thanks for sharing!

Karen

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Those good days are oh so precious…

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

So glad that these "dad jokes" can still bring a smile and are positive moments for you, your partner and your son, M1!

Tom

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My wife cannot understand verbal communication, and hardly notices the television. So, imagine my surprise when I saw her watching FRIENDS and laughing at the right moments. Sometimes something just clicks for them for a moment and then they are back to how they normally are.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 265
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh, definitely.

When my DW's mother was no longer able to speak and it seemed she barely understood what we were saying to her, she would laugh like crazy to "The Golden Girls". Same thing for her as you DW…she always had the best sense of humor and was quick to laugh. It was so great seeing that little piece of her alive and well toward the end.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,005
    500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

So good to hear that she is up and around and able to laugh at jokes. Savor those moments. My DH doesn’t laugh at anything anymore. I’m lucky when I can get a vague smile. He’s stage 6/7 and in the past month or so has barely talked, and when he does it’s only a faint whisper.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more