Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sorry for the ramble.

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 666
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sorry for the ramble about hospice. It was my mom's hospice company I felt that way about but I'm sure they are good caring people. Tried to delete this but couldn't find where.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 12

@ghphotog I am so sorry you are having this experience. Both our hospices were always very responsive. Can you interview a different one? They are not all the same, but this one sounds lax.

What is it you are needing them to do? Or if it is just talking and helping you think through overall options to make your life easier and your LO safe and comfortable, that’s fine too— part of what they get paid to do. That contact may be their Social Worker’s role generally. It is for us, though DH’s nurse lead is the go/to for meds, even OT tips and transferring plus other ADL’s hacks.

Looking back now, I did have one SW who was a total dud and we even found she was falsifying reports (aka noting she had checked in with me when she had not even been returning calls). I complained and they made a switch. The next SW was great. You deserve the support. I’d consider interviewing a different hospice agency if you can.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 439
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Sorry this is your experience. I had a less than stellar hospice company years ago. Definitely see if you can change or talk to someone higher up about your experience. Maybe they can help.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

@ghphotog I'm sorry you are having this problem. I sounds like they are not a very good fit. Please do consider interviewing other providers. There are good ones out there. Have you spoken with other residents' families to see who they use and whether they recommend them? The facility may not be allowed to recommend a particular provider, but sometimes staff will speak off the record about who they prefer to work with. That is how I got the recommendation for DH's hospice provider, and we have been very pleased with them.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 666
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 13

I'm sorry, let me clarify. That was my mom's hospice company I was referring to when she passed. So far my wife's hospice company has been fine. I was just rambling.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

@ghphotog Thank you for clarifying, and I'm so glad you and your wife are having a good experience with her hospice provider. It can make all the difference in the world to have knowledgeable, kind and compassionate people helping us walk our loved one home.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more