Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Clothing for inappropriate urination

Jazzma
Jazzma Member Posts: 104
Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My DH, now in memory care, likes to pee out the window of his 3rd floor room. This has been going on for a few months, even with a commode in the room and regular trips to the bathroom by staff. It's become an issue for residents on the lower floors.

The staff recommended getting him overalls, thinking he wouldn't be able to open them up to pee. I don't think I've ever seen overalls without some sort of fly. I looked at Alzheimers clothing, and found things with no front access (zipper in the back) but I think he would just get angry and try to rip it off.

They are not supposed to block the window from opening. I'm trying to think of something to put in the opening that would absorb urine or discourage him from peeing there. He does occaisionally use the commode.

Any ideas? He is on the 3rd floor because it best fits his level of care, so switching to another floor isn't great.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 12

I’m trying to envision a window that opens safely on the THIRD floor of an MC. 🧐😳

If he is pee’ing out of the window it seems they need to secure that window somehow. That’s all I can think of. Seems like he could hurt himself or definitely continue to be unhygienic where 1st & 2nd floor residents are concerned.

• clarinetist
    clarinetist Member Posts: 132
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My DH wears the clothing that zips up the back. He was urinating and defecating wherever he happened to be at the time, sometimes in a hallway at the memory care. The first time he wore the clothing he did rip it because he couldn’t figure out how to get his pants down and he was desperate.

But he did eventually get used to his new clothes, and now gets assistance to use the bathroom. No more hallway surprises. I got his clothing at Buck and Buck’s, and the outfits are sturdy. They are a t-shirt sewn onto sweatpants, and actually look fairly nice.

Currently your husband is peeing out the window, but he could progress to peeing in other places, so you might consider trying the zip-up outfits.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more