Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nail biting

My DH started to bite his nails way down. This is a habit he never had in the past. He tells me he can stop, but minutes later he is back biting. Worries with cold, flu seasons and germs he may pick up.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hmm. I'm sure he can't help it. If you put something that doesn't taste good on them, it might act as a deterrent. Capsaicin ointment or cayenne pepper comes to mind-but you wouldn't want him to get that in his eyes, either. Gloves maybe? But IDK how you'd keep him from taking them off .

• justbreathe2
    justbreathe2 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks M1. He would just wash anything off his fingers. I talked to him about wearing gloves. Just so unlike him.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

He must be getting some sort of stimulation or soothing out of this activity even if he isn't aware of it or can't articulate it. Just to toss out some ideas…

Could this be a fidgeting type activity? Last month my DH (mid-Stage 7) started rubbing and plucking at this clothes and vigorously rubbing his fingers and palm of his hand. Nothing is physically wrong, and verbal redirection doesn't work. Our hospice social worker gave him a fidget blanket, and it has been very helpful in redirecting his busy fingers and seems to be soothing for him. Note: if you try a fidget blanket, remove anything he might try to chew on that could harm him. These are more for restless fingers and hands.

Does he seem to be anxious when he is chewing his nails? For some people nail biting is a soothing activity.

Does he chew on other things? It is not uncommon for some PWD to become hyper-oral and put just about anything and everything in their mouth. Others try to bite things.

I hope you can figure out a solution.

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

This is rather an OCD behavior IMO. I would ask doctor to try meds that will lower anxiety

• justbreathe2
    justbreathe2 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

fmb thanks for your comments. My DH is early stage I believe. He doesn’t chew on anything else, or put things in his mouth. I have come to the conclusion he is anxious about his memory. He is concerned for me. Our son is visiting now so that may give him some anxiety with having another person in the house. I will keep the fidget blanket in mind.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more