Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Testing MRI with contrast dye?

Petra2024
Petra2024 Member Posts: 39
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

my DH is supposed to have 4 MRIs today— one with contrast dye. I’m reading about possible problems for elderly patients with dementia and/or heart disease with the contrast dye…he’s frail and I don’t want to put him through nausea/rashes/increased cognitive issues —- I’m thinking of having him do only the three MRIs without contrast. Anyone looked into this before ? I’ll call his heart doc this am to get his feedback if possible but I’m kicking myself for not thinking of this before the day of the test.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Petra, FWIW problems with MRI contrast are not as common as problems with other contrast preps, it's a bit different than the contrast used for other tests. i hope he's able to cooperate, it may be difficult for him. It's short notice, but you could rethink and reschedule. Do you know what they are looking for with these tests? If they find something, would you put him through more treatment?

• Petra2024

thanks for that info — good to know it’s not as common to have problems… it’s his first brain MRI series, they’re looking to see what exactly he has — cat scan showed moderate brain atrophy but the neurologist is guessing vascular Parkinsonism… worst case we can do the two MRA’s and the brain MRI without contrast…and see if that gives neurologist enough infoI read the contrast dye can contribute to dementia (googling online can be iffy, I know)… DH is FINALLY after nine months done with post-shingles nightmare and he’s 82 with heart disease so I just don’t want him to have any unnecessary pain

• Petra2024

pS to M1, you hit the nail on the head with this—

“If they find something, would you put him through more treatment?”

I don’t think there’s much to be done to help at this point if it’s vascular Parkinsonism… and he’s on heavy meds for heart disease (amiodarone is one) so I’m wary of adding more medication unless it’s clearly going to make his life better…

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi M1, I just want you to know how much I appreciate the knowledge you share with us on this forum. You make such a difference in helping us all non-medical people. God bless you.

• Petra2024

Denise1847 I’m so glad you posted this—I was thinking the same thing.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

to be honest, I'm not aware that one can diagnose Parkinsonism from an MRI scan. I ca't imagine how it could possibly change his treatment….but then again there may be something I don't know, for sure. I just hate to see our frail loved ones put through unnecessary procedures. They might be able to diagnose Lewy Body dementia, that's the only thing i can think of that might show up. But there's certainly a limit to how much we can speculate without knowing the details.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am with Ml and would not do any of it unless the results would change treatment. I would get more info before proceeding.

• Petra2024
    edited August 14

he’s in now—doing well after first tests, one more to go.

I talked to his cardiologist right before and he was able to talk to the neurologist (their offices are side by side). They both thought it would be important to get the contrast…

I may be wrong about what the neurologist is looking for so it may be that it’s not the Parkinsonism they look for with this series … but in any case, DH is going ahead with the whole series—I think he wants the neurologist to have the complete info… he’s usually good with tests.

I have faith in the cardiologist’s judgement as he’s kept DH going for 24 years and knows his condition well, and has always made good calls … fingers crossed that all goes well. But i will be quicker in future with research and questions if anyone wants more tests. And jfkoc what you said I will keep in mind in future: “would not do any of it unless the results would change treatment.” That’ what I should have asked from the start… Thanks everyone for your input.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hind sight can really do a number on us…

You are doing a great job and what a good idea to pull in the cardiologist.

• Petra2024

thanks jfkoc! I try!

• Petra2024

he’s done. No nausea etc. But he came out and said “ never again!” And I said ok!

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad it went well. My hubby did not have side effects from the contrast but they did recommend hydration the rest of the day .

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more