Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Socializing

My DW is in mid stage Alzheimer’s, we go to a campground with a pool, which she loves. People tend to socialize at the pool, and she repeats questions many times. I try to let her know that they have answered that question, and I’m not sure others understand what’s going on. I try to keep her in the conversation, but not sure how to handle this.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’d let others know of her issue. Also I’ve learned not to correct them especially in front of others. I know it’s hard but some here had notes she gave when meeting new ppl.

• Belle60
    Belle60 Member Posts: 46
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Earlier in his disease, we made a deal that I would let him know when he was repeating himself by tapping on his shoulder. But that backfired on me. When I did it he became angry at me and said he wasnt repeating himself. So I stopped and just let it play out. Most people are understanding and eventually understand what is going on.

• r001norris
    r001norris Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    I tried by telling her I would tap her on the leg, but she can’t remember why I tap her on the leg.
  • CampCarol
    CampCarol Member Posts: 58
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I just let it go as well; usually people figure it out on their own. If I’m able to get one (or more) off to the side, I will tell them what’s happening. We tried tapping and a little hand signal; neither of those worked.

• murpc76
    murpc76 Member Posts: 11
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I have been considering doing this. Thank you for mentioning it.

• Stan2
    Stan2 Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I really find it amazing how quickly others pick up on the problem and adjust their own behavior to accommodate. The only time I interfere is if I see DW struggling to answer a question. Then I will help her with the answer.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

she asks the same questions because she doesn’t remember asking or them answering so she’s not going to remember you correcting her. Tell the people at the pool and explain that she has memory loss and that means she will ask the same question multiple times. Many people don’t understand the disease.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 439
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Yes, I agree. Use the cards or just a simple explanation. I've found most people are very considerate.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more