Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Help

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

maybe a little rant here but I cannot be the only one that feels this way!! I have been doing everything I can think of to make DH happy and not to agitate him. But every night he ends up losing it and yelling at me! Ok sundowing whatever! I’m done I can’t deal anymore I can’t even be nice or understand! Help!! What do you do when you can’t do?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

He may need additional medication, and it may time to consider memory care. It's all hard.

• sbcspin
    sbcspin Member Posts: 10
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Can you have somone stay a night or two a week (if for no more than safety sake)? Perhaps create a little 'oasis' of private space for yourself - a bedroom where you can shut the door, turn on a fan, read, snuggle under a comfy duvet?. The morning will come but a night for yourself can be of great help.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

you aren’t doing anything to cause it. You can’t stop it. Agitation and aggression is common. It’s the disease. It’s not him. It’s not your fault. His world is falling apart and you are his anchor. He is not reasoning. His reasoner is broken. He needs medication. Call his doctor. Get respite time for yourself or consider memory care for him. So sorry.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

He is overstimulated by the environment. Keep his world simple and consistent, this is reassuring to him.

Iris

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

What do you do when you can’t do? You breathe. Just breathe. Nice big breaths. You will get through this. Listen to what others have said. Call his doctor and ask for medication to tamp down the aggression. Ask for help from family and friends or the area agency on aging. Know that you’re not alone. We are all here to support you and help you in anyway we can. We will hold you up and send lots of prayers and virtual hugs.

Brenda

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So sorry you're dealing with this. I would highly recommend consulting the doctor(s) about medication to help as well as carving out a small space in your home for yourself. If I couldn't have retreated to my room at night I don't think I could have kept doing this for as long. YMMV

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more