Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A little funny

My DH and I were watching the evening news. He said "would you call my wife and tell her I am ready to go home?" In an attempt to divert the discussion, I said "I am about to start making tuna melts for our dinner." He responded, "that's funny, that is what she's making, too."

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

boy!! Haven’t had anything like that yet , can’t imagine how that’s will hit met. Have no words. But I’m sure others do

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Wow! I think that caregivers are constantly given a view of the land of Oz through our experiences with our loved ones. Everyday my DH talks about when we have to leave to go home etc. I am kind of getting used to it but it does it is a struggle. I know it is coming soon that he won't know who I am - yet another chapter.

Thank you for sharing.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

It is funny. Bittersweet. It's amazing how sometimes our loved ones can say things of the blue that are so perfectly funny. My husband rarely speaks above a whisper or more than one or two words. Recently he said to the music therapist, clear as day, "thank you for being so tall." We both looked at him in shock for a second and then broke down laughing. You have to find little spots of joy where you can. And now I really want a tuna melt - haven't had one in years.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Yes, sometimes our DHs come up with some winners. When my DH was in MC, he got a haircut and when I saw him I said, " Oh. You look so handsome! " to which he replied, " I can't help it! " ( with a wry smile on his face ) This is a man who seldom said anything .

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

That’s a fun one, Buggytoo. Thanks for sharing.

While driving my husband to a Patsy Cline musical tribute last week, three times within a few minutes he mentioned he should have told his wife he was going. I responded, she knows and is tickled he gets to go because he loves music. To me, when he mentions “his wife”, it’s a tribute to his long term lasting memory of OUR love. 🥰

Some of you might recall, that the first couple years of his memory care placement he developed two memory care relationships in two different facilities. (I was considered a trigger to his exit seeking behaviors and it was during Covid- worst times of our lives. He being so cognitively ill and with anosognosia). He was sure they were me, the mother of our children, and he referred to them by my first name or when zooming with our kids -your mother). It was initially felt as another punch to my gut delivered by Alzheimer’s, but within a couple of weeks, my brain adjusted to his world and I felt gratitude towards my substitutes for “being there” . (They each, too, believed they were long time married to him. Since his memory care wife passed, a year and a half ago, he’s so much more advanced in his disease that his brain is unable to make up delusions that he can hokd on to. It’s just bits and pieces of fragments now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more