Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Staying up late

My DW was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s about a month ago, pretty sure she’s at stage 4 . She recently started staying up until 2 or 3 am. I go to bed around 10:30. Then, I wake up around 6am, she wakes up around noon. Is this a common behavior?

Comments

• Stan2
    Stan2 Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I don't know if that sleep pattern is attributed to Alzheimers but My DW was doing the same thing before her diagnosis about 18 months ago. The medicos suggested to me that she would benefit from a regular sleep pattern. About the time of diagnosis she also became afraid to stay up by herself so now if I go to bed at 10 she does too. She would still sleep till noon if I would let her but I try to get her up around 7:30 every day.

• CampCarol
    CampCarol Member Posts: 58
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is stage 5, and he’s been staying up ridiculously late for a while now. He also wants to stay in bed late into the morning (although he isn’t always sleeping). As @Stan2 mentioned above, everything I’ve read also says that a routine is very helpful. I unfortunately haven’t yet been successful with establishing one (not for lack of trying)!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I would definitely bring it up with their docs. Sleep dysregulation can be part of the brain damage and will respond to medication and not much else.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more