Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Looking for Support Group

I am a 51 year old single male co-caring for my mother with Alz along with her husband (my step father). Would love to find a in person or virtual support group for men like me who are facing issues surrounding the care of their parent(s) with Alz. and other age related issues. I am in WNY and volunteer for the local walk to end Alz and find that very fulfilling but need more of a support group to talk about the day to day care issues that come up. Is there a group already out there? This is my first post and new to ALZConnected. Help is appreciated.

Robert

Comments

• clarinetist
    clarinetist Member Posts: 132
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Go to communityresourcefinder.org, click on Alz Assn Programs and Events, check Alzheimer’s Support Groups, add your zip code and click Search. That should bring up Alz Assn support groups in your area.

• CampCarol
    CampCarol Member Posts: 58
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I called the 800 number at the bottom of the page (800-272-3900). They were incredibly helpful and brought up other topics and resources I hadn’t even thought of. They put me in touch with my state Alzheimer’s organization, and they had other support options as well.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. I know it's not the same as an IRL group, but I think this is the best thing out there. Hope it will help you.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I find this forum more helpful than a support group IRL. It fits into my schedule and I can come and go anytime I like. The people here are knowledgeable and kind.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome Robert. As others have shared, there is a search tool for virtual support groups and the Alzheimer’s Org toll free number can assist you. In addition keep coming here for info and support as you need it. Read the book “The 36 Hour Day” which really helped me after my husband’s diagnosis. Also remember to take care of yourself. Caregiving is exhausting. They are lucky to have you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more