Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Some hope for the future?

ImMaggieMae
ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

My DS sent me this article about some promising research on Alzheimer’s. Like so many other things it’s only been tested with some success in mice so far but since at least one of the drugs is already been used for cancer, maybe it will prove successful in a shorter time.

https://scitechdaily.com/stanford-reverses-cognitive-decline-in-alzheimers-with-brain-metabolism-drug/

Comments

• CampCarol
    CampCarol Member Posts: 58
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

It’s really amazing the strides being made in medical and technology research. It’s good to know there’s possible hope for future generations regarding this horrible disease!

• allit
    allit Member Posts: 82
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Thanks for the link! That was a good read and gives me more material to add to what I’ve been looking into so far. Will keep an eye out for any clinical trials involving this stuff substance.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Quoting:

Neuroscientists believe one of the key mechanisms by which Alzheimer’s disease impairs brain function is through the disruption of glucose metabolism, which is essential for energizing a healthy brain. Essentially, a decrease in metabolism deprives the brain of vital energy, thereby hindering cognitive functions and memory.

This makes me wonder whether the increase in sugar craving among some PWD is an attempt to self-medicate to increase glucose in the brain.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lane Simonian had posted many articles along these lines, but they were lost in the software update. You might find one or two that didn't get lost.

Iris

• Lux
    Lux Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

All this makes me really hopeful for our children. In 30 years, well, maybe they will just get a blood test, take a pill. Live well and long.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more