Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rivastigmine???

mathreader
mathreader Member Posts: 44
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

My DH used to be on donepezil but the neurologist took him off of it because he also takes escitolopram for depression. He put him on rivastigmine instead because of concerns about interactions of the drugs. Just the other day, he doubled the rivastigmine dose to 3 mg (from 1.5) as my DH has been having hallucinations and a harder time all in all. We like this neurologist a lot, but I just feel like we are going nowhere. We are currently waiting for an appointment with a neuropychologist testing in Sept to see if there is a decline from last year before anything else is determined. Anyone else using rivastigmine?? Just wish we could get some answers.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I don't know that rivastigmine will do anything for hallucinations and may in fact worsen them. Have you asked about an atypical antipsychotic like Seroquel or Risperdal? If the neurologist is not willing to prescribe, ask for referral to a geriatric psychiatrist.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

geriatric psychiatrists are the best to regulate the meds. My husband was on Risperidone which helped with hallucinations.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more