Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just dropping in

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

It's been a while since I've posted. I've been reading some of the threads, and nothing seems to have changed. It's still heart break and difficulties, and carrying on. I'm sorry that good people have to deal with such a difficult problem.

For those of you who had a LO pass on, I can't say I'm sorry they are no longer with us. Their suffering has ended. But I will say I'm so sorry you have to deal with the aftermath. It has been two years and two months since my wife passed, and I know what it's like for me.

Wherever you are on this road in life, I am a firm believer that music can help, even if only for a short time. If you had an interest in something, and you have lost that interest now, try to revive it. Anything to take your mind to a more peaceful state than it is now. Even if you can only get a few minutes a day, that will help a little. I'm always thinking of you.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

keep the faith

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm happy to hear from you, Ed. I miss you. I know you are moving on and trying to rebuild your life, and I hope the best for you.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

glad to hear from you too. Hope that Suzy is providing good companionship

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Hi Ed,

Always good to hear from you. I listen to an eclectic variety of music daily, realizing it’s cathartic. Thank you, again, for your support when I was contemplating moving my husband out of state. It’s all worked out just fine and a year later we are both feeling more settled.

My dad would say “growing old” is the hardest thing he ever did. At age ninety eight he had said goodbye to his folks, wife, siblings, cousins, and friends. (Not that you’re old, but you’ve been thru a big loss). He was happiest when he was helping others, and when he lost that ability, he really struggled. May you find connections and a cause that provides you purpose and joy.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

It's nice to hear from you, Ed. Music is great!

Iris

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Ed, It was great to see your post, I think of you from time to time. I hope you doing well.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Ed, I am so glad to hear from you. I pray things get better for you and that you will feel joy in your life once again. I have learned a great deal from you and I truly appreciate all of the sharing you have done. You can be comforted in knowing how much you have helped us during these tough times.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

hello Ed. Glad to hear from you. You helped me so much. My husband Lonny passed August 12. His memorial service is Friday. I miss him so much it hurts but am thankful he’s no longer suffering. I am trying to find a way to move forward. Seeing your post gives me hope.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,399
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

It is nice to hear from you Ed.

You are correct- it’s the same here as it was before, just some of the names have changed. Some people have joined you in stage 8, and new people have arrived. It’s sad that we can send people to the moon ( although getting them back appears to be more difficult), but we can’t prevent or cure dementia. We can’t even help families dealing with it.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you Ed!!!

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

So good to hear from you, Ed! I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how you are doing.

Brenda

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Good to hear from you, Ed. And yes, I don't know who said, "These are the times that try men's souls", but having a LO with dementia is one of those times for sure. The saddest thing is that more remedies are so slow in arriving, and that financial ruin often follows in it's wake.

Speaking of music, now that my DH is in MC, I'm finally able to go back to singing in the choirs I joined when we first moved here. No matter what, singing (and music) lifts me up and takes me to a better place. Thanks for the reminder.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi!!!

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Well, hello there Ed! Good to hear from you - I do think of you now and then and wonder how you are doing. Old friends sharing feelings along the caregiver spectrum are not forgotten. We do not know one another personally, but have shared our personal experiences and feelings along the way supporting one another which means a lot when, "in the trenches."

You have so much experience and personal knowledge regarding this sort of journey; all input you have would be very valuable for a lot who come to communicate here.

So hope you are feeling well and doing well; I send very best warm wishes your way,

J.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi!!!

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Always good to hear from you!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Just like coming home. Thank you!!

I think I'm doing pretty good. Still dealing with low blood sugar issues, but it is mostly controlled. No hospital visits since I got my CGM. That made a world of difference for me.

Suzie is 10 months old now. She turned out to be a really nice dog, and she keeps things kind of normal around here.

@SDianeL, I'm sorry to hear you are now in stage 8. Wishing strength and focus for you.

• billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    edited August 27

Hello Ed, like you I have been absent from this forum for quite a while. I hope you are gradually experiencing some closure from the loss of your wife. Stay active with friends and activities and yes, music is a powerful healing force.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Good to see you again, Ed. We have missed you. So happy you have Suzie to keep you entertained.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hi Ed. I was happy to see your post. I entered stage 8 last Nov 24th when my DH passed away. He had been in MC for 15 mo but our Alzheimer's journey was 7 and 1/2 yrs. I always read your posts and learned so much from them. As I remember you were the Mayor of this site. Glad to know that music has helped you. I am slowly l adjusting to this new life and in retrospect marvel that I was able to take care of my DH for so many years.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Hi Ed - it's good to see you!

I guess several of us have now entered stage 8 since you've been gone. I entered stage 8 in early March.

You're so right about music. I just picked up the latest by Ashbury Heights - a goth/synth pop band. They put a smile on my face.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 30

Ed!

Ditto what so many have said. It is always good to hear from you and your wisdom always blesses someone(s).

We are in that “could be any day now…or not” time of Stage 7 limbo. I am still numb (Literally. For 6 years now) and do not know what my state will be when this tough journey finally ends for my beloved DH.

We are currently listening to lots of classical music or jazz piano on the radio. Around the clock. 24/7. It is soothing and he always loved music playing in the background even when working on some complex reading or writing tasks.

His face visibly relaxes now, even while sleeping, which helps me think (hope) it may be soothing any pain he can’t express due to being mainly non-verbal (aphasia). And I love hearing and feeling the music as well. Win, win!

You are right that music is healing. Always wishing you well.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more