Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Partner

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

If he is out of control, it is time to call 911 and have him transported to an ER with the intent to then transfer him to a geri psych ward for assessment + treatment.

Explain that he has dementia so if he becomes aggressive, they know what they are dealing with.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Have you spoke with his Dr about medication?

If he is taking meds for agitation and aggression, maybe a change in dosage is necessary??

The anger is so hard to deal with when we, as caregivers, do EVERYTHING. They are not capable of expressing gratitude anymore. It’s so hard, but if he gets on the right meds with the dose adjusted as needed, things should get somewhat easier. Hang in there!

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 802
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree - call 911 and have him taken to ER and then a geripsych unit. Until the the agression is managed, he's a danger to you and himself. Please think of it as something you're doing FOR him not to him. Let us know how you are. Please keep safe.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Please talk to the doctor re meds. They helped my DH alot.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

That’s what I ended up having to do in your same situation. I was afraid of him. He went to ER. He is now admitted to a med surg bed till a geripsych comes available. The psychiatrists in their behav health unit (they don’t work with dementia) are trying to stabilize him in meantime. Not going so well.

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 1
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 1
  • Russinator
    Russinator Member Posts: 8
    First Comment First Anniversary

I agree - call 911 and have him taken to ER. Please keep safe

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 290
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am so sorry you are in this situation. For your safety, you need to call 911 and have him transported to ED. He needs to be admitted to psych ward to get control of his agitation. Until this happens, keep your car keys and cellphone with you at all times. Do you have a safe room you can lock yourself into for protection? Please stay safe.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I am sorry for what is happening. Your safety is the most important issue. If you continue to do the same things in the same way, NOTHING will change and it can also certainly get worse. From what has been posted, it appears that this is an ongoing mental health issue which needs to be professionally managed.

If you are going to continue as is, you will need a safe place in the house to lock yourself into and your cell phone if he begins to become physically threatening, and it may be that for safety reasons you may have to abruptly and swiftly get out of the house. Do NOT be fearful or embarrassed to contact 911 if things have progressed to a possible danger level, such things can and do happen. Safety is the priority. Also, it is probably a good idea to put together a small suitcase with some clothing and needed meds, credit card, etc. for yourself and keep it in the trunk of the car should you need to make a hurried, "get-a-way." Keep car keys on your person or find a hiding place outside so you can access them should you need to make a swift exit.

Good advice has been given to keep your cell phone with you at all times and know which room in the house has a locking door you can get to if you cannot get out of the house. One can purchase a locking door knob for a room if needed, and they are simple to install. It would be best to keep a car key on your person or in a hiding place outside should you need to suddenly get away from the house for your own safety.

Are you safe while you are sleeping or would he be a danger to you once you are asleep? If a danger, then it is past time to move from the house until the situation is managed. Important to cover the safety issues at hand; severe issues can happen abruptly in a slick second without warning, so best to be prepared and keep sensitively aware of what is happening and avoid the worst outcome.

Any weapons such as handguns, rifles, knives, clubs, etc. should be removed when he cannot see it being done.

I am so very sorry that this is happening and has danger issues that one really needs to stay highly aware of and not ignore while quietly hoping for something better. Your well-being and even life may depend on the plans you make for danger possibilities.

Let us know how you are and what plans you have put together for your own safety; it will be up to you what plans will realistically serve you and your safety best.

Will be thinking of you,

J.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,352
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 1
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,399
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m going to respond in your ‘I’m beaten down’ post. The three discussions you started are all related.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more