Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

If I’m the caregiver, is he the caretaker?

Nowhere
Nowhere Member Posts: 272
Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

What I’ve learned today …

Just because my open thermos of coffee isn’t in the car’s cup holder after church doesn’t mean it was left behind. (We even turned around and drove back and went into church and searched for it. No luck. Figured it was just gone until hours later discovering that it had overturned on the passenger floor (not naming names, but…) which became evident with the stink of coffee cream turning rancid in a closed car sitting in the sun all afternoon on a 95 degree day.

What I learned: if something is missing look in unobvious places before giving up. I also learned today that his brain still understands some important things and possess compassion and concern. On our evening walk there was a small child walking by himself. “Look at that”, he said, “I hope he knows his way home”! I love our evening walks.

Perhaps, use this thread to share what you’re learned…

Comments

• Dunno
    Dunno Member Posts: 47
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments
    edited August 26

I've found rolls of toilet paper in the refrigerator…

"Hope he knows his way home" .. sparked a memory.

I remember walking home from school. I was probably about 7 years old and in the second grade, with my little sister a grade behind and in tow. We had just moved to Chicago because Mom married a new guy, and we were living in an apartment in Skokie. All the flats looked alike, and after school we walked up and down the streets trying to remember which one we were staying in. My little sister wouldn’t stop crying. finally an old lady came to us and said we lived over here, and led us to the apartment. good times :)

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Yesterday my DH couldn’t find his small tube of anti itch cream. I looked all over the house, upstairs and down. He asked if I looked upstairs on the tub. I had only given that a cursory glance, so off he went, upstairs. Minutes later he comes down and proudly states he found it! When I asked him where he found it, he proudly said “my pocket!” Hiding in plain site so to speak.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Speaking of sparking memories- My husband’s gold wedding band (I know, I should have switched it out) went missing in his new facility. We looked everywhere. Never found it. Later, his wooden bead crucifix (his aunt had been a nun) went missing. Again, I looked in every possible place- his clothing, drawers, closet, waste basket, under and inside his bed, in his arm chair, even behind the art on the walls. A few weeks later, we were swimming, and I had him leave his wallet in the car so he wouldn’t “worry” about it at the pool. Well, that’s all he did at the pool- worry about it- because he didn’t have it. For the umpteenth time, as I saw him begin reaching for his sweater, I said, “Your wallet is in the car; there is nothing in your pocket”! He got this sparkle in his eye and sly smile and reached into his pocket and without a word pulled out that old crucifix. He delighted in proving me wrong - his pockets weren’t empty! We shared a great laugh.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more