Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Compulsive behaviors

1st time here. My DW of 47 years is in final stages of dementia, she's on hospice. Mostly non communicative, incontinent, but can walk. She is on a liquid diet as she can't swallow solid foods. I am essentially her only caregiver. I can handle most things but she drinks too much, milk, water, protein drinks etc. Then she wets her underwear. She uses disposables. Problem is she can and does go through 3 to 4 pairs of pants and underwear in an hour. Can't remember the last time I got 8 hours sleep. The other problem is I need to work, so I take her to work with me. But once there within 10 minutes she wants to go home and leaves the office. I have installed a TV for her, give her simple digital games (that helps some). She's on two meds for agitation. Maybe just looking for suggestions to reduce the liquid intake and keep her safe with me in the office. TIA

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have a need for it. I guess the first question I would have is whether or not you are using really good disposables? If you are just using the ones you can buy at a grocery store, please try a high quality garment. The place I used is parentgiving.com. They have a variety of products, and you can call (the number is on their site). Explain the situation, and ask what they recommend. If you buy the dry direct disposables, get the ones made in Italy. They seem to be better than those made in the states.

Also, if you find yourself getting up in the middle of the night to change bedding, ask the members about layering the bed. That can make a big difference for both of you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more