Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Night time going home trips

ClarkEb
ClarkEb Member Posts: 51
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

LO will drag herself (or I'll help her) get to bed. Usually falls asleep in the recliner. Just totally tired. Probably around 9-10. And suddenly reappear with her comb and brush. Refreshed and ready to go. We go and she nods of on the trip. Help her to bed. And about an hour later back with comb and brush ready to go. One night we repeated at hourly intervals until about 2am. We get home and she is glad to be home and sleep in her own bed. The usual reasons for leaving is is "I can't sleep in this bed. I need to go home"
has any one else experienced anything like this.
thanks

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH gets up at night and packs by pulling out all of his clothes and puts them on the bed. He gets dressed and tries to go downstairs. I usually hear him and assure him that he is home, safe and we aren't going anywhere. This sometimes happens during the day. He is fixated on having to leave the place he is in (our home) and worries about my leaving him. I just try to assure him that I am not going anywhere and that we are there for each other. I understand that this is a phase and it will pass. I feel so badly for him. He is so fearful because he is confused and doesn't know what is happening.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Clark you're more accommodating than i would be, and i can't imagine that you can continue this, you're wearing yourself out and have dug yourself a hole by beingvwilling to take her on these car trips.. I think remember your saying she's taking Seroquel. I would talk to her docs about increasing the nighttime dose so that she sleeps through the night. I would never presume to tell anyone they should consider placement, but it does occur to me in your situation.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My wife would wake several times a night and insist we had to leave because people were coming to hurt or kill us. Once in the car she would be fine and would be fine when we initially got home but would wake in an hour or two with the same fears.. Seroquil was able to tamp down these delusions and have her sleep through the night. She also went through a period of wanting to go home but those requests came in the daytime. I dealt with those request but telling her we would go later or tomorrow due to some fiblet I’d make up.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

fib to her. Tell her the car is out of gas or broken. Tell her you’ll take her tomorrow.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited August 29

Clark, I have the same problem. Luckily it's usually during the day, but it has happened at night too. My DH wants to go home, back to the army barracks, back on the boat. I drive him around and bring him back home often to be told to "cut it out and bring me to my apartment." It used to happen once every two weeks, but now it has progressed to every day. I try to stall by telling him that I don't have a car, my car is broken and we can go tomorrow. Sometimes it works.

A couple of weeks ago I refused to drive him anywhere. He walked out the door at 12:30 AM and started wandering. I wound up calling the non-emergency number for the police. They came out with an ambulance to bring DH to the ER. The ER checked him out - nothing wrong - dementia causing delirium. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I am currently in the process of placing DH in memory care. There's no way I can keep him safe at home. And there's no way I can drive around with an incompetent person calling the shots. It's insanity.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more