Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Random Bits

CindyBum
CindyBum Member Posts: 267
250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sure we all see a variety of new behaviors in our LOs, some of them even maybe lighthearted (if still sad).

My wife now thinks the local newscasters are looking at her from the TV. She finds that fun and funny.

Comments

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

yes, it is lighthearted and sad. My HWD/Alz waves to “ his friends” on TV.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

REALLY!! This illness never surprises me.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,352
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Same here.

For a time, dad seemed to think he was one of the Reagans on Blue Bloods.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Yes, both lighthearted and sad. Sigh.

• Ralphsup
    Ralphsup Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Yes, my DH (formerly a marine mechanic) was watching one of those car shows where they refurbish old cars for people, and was telling me that he used to know the main character and they hung out together. I just went along with it and was glad he was having a fun "memory". I tell my close family/friends, sometimes I just laugh when he does silly things. Some may think it is cruel to laugh, because it is so very sad, but my husband always joked around with everyone, even my mother before she died, who also had Alzheimer's. I tell anyone passing judgement (can tell by the look on their face), I'd rather laugh than cry and my husband would have too. You must enjoy what you can in what ever time you have left.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 267
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Couldn't agree more Ralphsup. My DW is still aware enough that we can sometimes laugh at some of the words or sentences she produces. Fun and laughter have always been a major part of her life and our life together. To be able hold onto that with her despite my own sadness and her frustration? Heck yeah. I'm super grateful we are still able to have that together still. Any second I see her appearing happy about something feels like an important moment.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more