Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sometimes I Forget

Stan2
Stan2 Member Posts: 72
25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

There are other stressors in our lives and when they add up and I get anxious and grouchy sometimes I forget that she really doesn't know that the question she just asked is the same as it was the 20 other times she asked. That just happened. I snapped at her and she got her feelings hurt. I tell myself I have to do better, but I know it will happen again, I just have to remember to engage the brain before the mouth.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Stan the repetition is very hard to deal with. There is an otherwise very sweet resident in our MC but she is on repeat about every ten seconds. It drives everyone crazy, including my partner, the aides, and multiple other residents. I think you can forgive yourself for losing it here and there.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 290
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

@Stan2:

This has been very hard for me as well. I am getting more patient with time but I still have a long way to go. Please be kind to yourself! I would guess that what you are feeling is nearly universal amongst spouse caregivers.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Ditto for me too, WIG023. Very eloquently put.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited September 3

WIGO23, ditto for me as well. You expressed my feelings perfectly.

DrNani, I can relate. I love him more than I hate myself for my impatience. Sometimes I can go a whole day or two without losing it. Then one of the dementia behaviors comes up and I say things I don’t mean when it is the disease, not him who isn’t responding in the way I wanted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more