Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The trap we get into

DH has been waking me up several times a night. I hit my limit at 7. So when he went back to sleep Sunday morning I decided no more sleeping during the day when he kept me up all night and told him so. I told him to get up as we were going to church.He told me to go without him. I said no and I was going to be very noisy. I started singing every hymn I could think of. If I couldn’t think of the words I hummed. I was as spiritually loud as I could be. I even cleaned the doors on the kitchen cabinets all the while singing or humming. Eventually he gave up and got up.

His urologist had said no caffeine or carbonation as they contribute to incontinence. What a trap I had bought into with that advice. He goes through $75 worth of the “good underwear” a month anyway. So what difference did that make?
I asked if he would like to go to Dunkin and get a Boston cream and coffee. He immediately got dressed and we headed to Dunkin.

My plan: fill him with caffeine and keep him awake all day. I was so tired but kept going. We put a lot of miles on the car and went to McDonalds twice….needed to get coke to drink, needed that caffeine! Before bed that night I gave him a cup of Sleepy Time Tea and a couple of sugar free cookies hoping he would sleep. He only awakened me once that night. It is now four days later and I have been successful in keeping him up all day and he didn’t wake me at all last night. God bless caffeine and Sleepy Time Tea.
Oh and the “good underwear” too.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 5

Good for you! Sounds like loads of effort though on your part. I agree that a lot of "standard advice" about no caffeine etc. is BS when it comes to dementia. The dementia is going to make him incontinent regardless, and the contribution of caffeine is probably minimal. I swear these people have no practical experience as caregivers when they make these pronouncements.

have you thought about medication to help him sleep through the night? I just worry that you can't keep this up forever. I guess my point being that you may just be going from one trap to another.

• Whyzit2
    Whyzit2 Member Posts: 55
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

M1 Thank you for your response. I always appreciate your input and encouragement.

Howhale I appreciate your comments too and yes I was snippy to my DH. I needed to do something different because I knew I couldn’t keep going without sleep. As we have read in other entries “The Calvary is not coming.” We are on our own. We have been on this journey for 14 years. I don’t feel guilty about my behavior as I have shown unbelievable patience and understanding over all these years. My solution though drastic by “good caregiver standards” you know always sweet loving and patient oh smile too, worked at that point in time and I am grateful for however long it lasts. Being realistic I realize everything could change tomorrow. But in the meantime I got some sleep and it is wonderful!&

A friend of mine asked me how long before DH gets placed because she has witnessed how worn out I am. My pcp recommended respite. Wonderful idea if if if one has the finances to do it, unfortunately we don’t. DH is too healthy for Medicaid paid long term care at this point. All I wanted was some quality sleep. When sleepy time tea no longer works we will see his psychiatrist for meds as recommended by M1. Again, thanks for the input and understanding as we overcame one disastrous day.🙏❤️

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Whyzit2, you may consider Melatonin 5mg or 10mg when sleepy time tea no longer works. It doesn't require a doctor's prescription, but still a good idea to consult with his psychiatrist first.

• jeannieco
    jeannieco Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Thank you for the suggestions! My DH is getting up during the night and I am becoming sleep deprived. I will get the tea and/or try the melatonin.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more